Bonaire resort with non diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtlscubadude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am planning a trip to Bonaire in February. Never been before. My wife does not dive. I'm looking for recommendations on a dive resort that will cater to both of us,
1) good dive ops so I can tag along with other groups and 2) decent pool, maybe a beach ( asking a lot , I know ) other land activities for her.
I saw Buddy Dive have good reviews. Other opinions very welcome.
Thanks.

If you want a strongly reputable dive op., a resort/hotel/condo. that generally gets good reviews, and would prefer at least some measure of sandy beach, Dive Friends is a very reputable op. with multiple locations, one with a big pier at the border or Sand Dollar Condo.s and Den Laman. I stayed at Sand Dollar Condo.s and dove with Dive Friends in 2019 - 8 Day Trip Report: Sand Dollar, Dive Friends. The house reef, Bari Reef, is a good one.

My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip

Buddy Dive Resort is a good place, I actually prefer their house reef a bit, and I love that morning buffet breakfast. Navigating the grounds can leave me as confused as a rat in a maze. I think they have a raised patch of sand somewhere, but not a beach.

Eden Beach Resort has a manmade sandy beach, but it doesn't extend out into the water. Harbor Village Resort has something or other, but it's expensive and I'm cheap so no first hand experience with that.

other land activities for her.
This would be easier if we were talking about Curacao, but there are things to do in Bonaire. It's a cruise port, so they have to entertain hordes of mostly non-divers. A half-day to drive through Washington-Slabaai Park. Is she game for wind surfing at Jibe City on the east coast, or even kite boarding on the west coast (you can watch them at the Atlantis site)? Trip Advisor can clue you into some excursions. There's snorkeling, some sort of cave tour, shopping, etc...

Hi @mtlscubadude

Who's the woman in dive gear in your avatar, not your wife?

I love Bonaire, my wife, a diver loves Bonaire. I'm not at all sure I would take a non-diver to Bonaire. We have always stayed at Sand Dollar, and now Den Laman. Sand Dollar has a small pool, not ocean front, not all that nice. Sand Dollar also has a very, very small beach area, we're not talking 7 Mile Beach or Grace Bay here. Bonaire is a low, desert-like island. Washington Slagbaai is nice, but that's half or one day.

@drrich2 gave it a good try, I agree, maybe Curacao would be easier? A real resort with a nice pool, beach, fitness facility...

Hi @mtlscubadude

Who's the woman in dive gear in your avatar, not your wife?

I love Bonaire, my wife, a diver loves Bonaire. I'm not at all sure I would take a non-diver to Bonaire. We have always strayed at Sand Dollar, and now Den Laman. Sand Dollar has a small pool, not ocean front, not all that nice. Sand Dollar also has a very, very small beach area, we're not talking 7 Mile Beach or Grace Bay here. Bonaire is a low, desert-like island. Washington Slagbaai is nice, but that's half or one day.

@drrich2 gave it a good try, I agree, maybe Curacao would be easier? A real resort with a nice pool, beach, fitness facility...
Thanks Drrich and scubadada;

That's my daughter. I got 3 of my kids certified but my wife isn't interested.

I will take a look at those places, thanks.
I will also poke around on curacao, so let me know if there's anything there I should target.

I'm not into high end like Harbour Village. Nice place, but $600+ a night is a little extreme

I am planning a trip to Bonaire in February. Never been before. My wife does not dive. I'm looking for recommendations on a dive resort that will cater to both of us,
1) good dive ops so I can tag along with other groups and 2) decent pool, maybe a beach ( asking a lot , I know ) other land activities for her.
Thanks.
One advantage to Buddy Dive is they have an Activity package for non-divers, which can include snorkeling, dry-cave exploration, mangrove kayak tour, mountain bikes, etc.

Thanks.
I stayed at Van der Valk plaza beach resort this year. They dive operator is toucan diving. Top notch service. They do run boat charters from there and also have a house reef. They are not far from the airport. You have to pick up a rental car from the airport. They do have rental scooters on site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom