Bonaire report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JayJudge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK,
A few of us went to Bonaire April 12-19, splitting the run with us was a group from Charlottesville, VA. We immediately got a night dive in on the house reef-Belmar-fun, saw some great tarpon. The next day we hit 5 sites, finishing the day with the Hilma Hooker. Vis at best was 70 ft, the entire week we were there. Not real impressed on that account. Unfortunately, part of the other group turned out to be alcoholics- toddy time started at around 4 pm, leaving us to our own devices. No big deal, just after 2 decades of playing in bars and nightclubs, I hate drunks. The cool things about Bonaire, for us, were the availability of 24 hr diving, anywhere (practically) on the island. 2 of us did the town pier night dive, saw some seahorses, a decorator crab, etc. 'course, being a wreck diver, I got a bit bored, and took to using my light to help the tarpon find food ;-) Probably against the rules, as you aren't supposed to take nor touch- but technically, it didn't say help- the wildlife. Annette got much better on navigation, and Glen and I headed down the alley to the engine room in the Hooker. The diving overall was easy, weird having an aluminum- the only times before that, I was in a pool session. All in all fun, and a few of us are heading back next year, but I will probably be in Scapa, or practicing my Russian in Bulgaria. Maybe. or Maybe both...
-J

yeah, we will be heading to bonaire very soon! Can't wait to go- will be the first trip there for me. We are also staying at the Belmar- glad to hear the house reef is decent! Although, mostly diving, not drinking, for us:)

Well, Belmar is the nicest place on the island. We went to a few of the others to check them out (for future trips), and they sucked. Buddy Dive is the huge, nightmare of a complex. If you want some fun, take a raw egg off Belmar (still whole), to 100 fsw, straight out. Watch for a nosey yellow tail, he got our egg 4 times- we'd crack it, he'd slurp it up through the shell. If you do manage to keep the egg, it can be thrown like a ball, with no shell. Kinda fun. The house reef itself is full of life, we saw rays, a turtle, eels, octopi, and all the normal fish. Have a good trip!
-J

Back
Top Bottom