Bonaire or Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been to both Belize and Bonaire multiple times. If you dive the atolls, the diving in Belize is better and more diverse. I've stayed on Turneffe Island and on the Aggressor. I would recommend both enthusiastically, giving a slight edge to the Aggressor. Belize is easier to get to for me, via direct flights from Newark on Saturdays.

I like Bonaire for a laid-back week of hanging out and diving when and where I please, and my girlfriend likes it better. It is probably better suited to somebody newly (re-) certified.

Can anybody recommend a good dive outfit in Belize City. I will be there first week of Jan.

I have been to Belize and Bonaire. Bonaire diving is much more colorful. There are tons of dive operators and dive sites. This is a place to go if you want to dive but not if you want to go see things on land.

Diving in belize is very different from Bonaire. There are very few dive operators in Belize. Belize city is pretty much Hugh Parkey's place. Ambergris Caye has much more diversity and choices in diving. Unlike Bonaire Belize is extremely large in selection of dive locations since you have the Turneffe islands near Belize City, the Cayes, and of course the Blue Hole. From Belize City you can embark on endless shore excursions, car rentals, and so forth. There is a lot to see in Belize.

Belize is NOT inexpensive to dive but neither is Bonaire.

Hey, This is my first post, and as a (relatively) new diver, having only dove in Belize & Bonaire so far, it's perfect :D

Two totally different trips. Belize offers a lot more as far as a ‘full’ vacation. We spent five days on the mainland exploring mayan ruins, horseback riding to a mayan cave, hiking to waterfalls, etc. at Hidden Valley Inn (highly recommended) We also spent another five days on Ambergris Caye at Victoria House (also very nice). Did the famous blue hole dive (4th dive of my post-certification life – eek), as well as 5 others.

Bonaire was a much more ‘dive centric’ trip. Did 15 dives in 6 days, and very reasonably priced. Had a full package deal which included rental car, unlimited shore diving, 6 boat dives, breakfast, and lodging. As others have said, there’s not much for the non-diver here.

I thought the diving was fantastic in both places (much better than the quarry I got certified in – haha!). I think Belize had more colorful fish (lots of angel fish) and prettier coral, interesting canyons & swimthroughs, also saw several eagle & other rays - but Bonaire had more fish in general, and a greater variety of ocean life (saw turtles on almost every dive, also saw a batfish and several frogfish…cool)

Belize was a more expensive trip, but I think that’s because we weren’t on a package and did a lot of other non-diving things. Planning a trip to Turks & Caicos for February and that is looking to be A LOT more expensive than either Belize or Bonaire were.

Some links to where we stayed :
www.hiddenvalleyinn.com
www.victoria-house.com
www.sanddollarbonaire.com

Wherever you end up going, they were both great, Enjoy!

Haven't been to Bonaire, yet, but Belize was one of the best trips of my life. Dove off Ambergris and with Hamanasi in Hopkins. Both are great dive spots. If you go, set aside at least two days to go to the Cayo district. We stayed at the Aguada, small, low budget hotel, and saw some Mayan ruins and did a cave tour at Actun Tunichil Muknal. This was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. I haven't found many activities on a trip that beat the diving but this cave tour beat it hands down.

I've been to both. Bonaire is a desert island with cactus growing right up to the rocky shores. Truely unlimited shore diving. You check out as many tanks as you need for the day and put them in the back of your pick-up. Definetely need a vehicle. You can dive until you drop. The island has a very European feel.
Diving off of Ambergis Cay, Belizeis was much different. All boat dives, absolutly no shore diving, to much boat traffic. Where else can you dive the Blue hole. While we were there the power went off a few times for an hour or so. Very lush and beautiful. We did a night dive during a full moon. Awesome.

Bonaire is my all time favorite...shore diving whenever i want...my schedule...just me and my buddy....nice places to stay. When i went to belize it was a liveaboard so different experience but great diving as well. The Aggressor was cool...great food...diving was not restricted , comfortable. I would choose Bonaire...and I have been to Hawaii, Belize and Coz as well...if i could go anywhere its Bonaire!

I've been to both a few times. Bonaire is nice, but I prefer Belize because there is much more variety in the diving and in other things to do. And Belize seems easier to get to, for me anyway.

Of course this makes sense when you think about it, after all we're talking one small island vs. a whole country with a bunch of different islands and regions. Probably more useful to compare Bonaire against the different areas of Belize like Ambergris, Lighthouse, Turneffe, Placencia, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom