Bonaire-National Park, Is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kristen8416

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heading to Bonaire at the end of the month. We’ve never made it up to the National Park. Can anyone tell me if it’s worth the effort. So many dive spots that we always end up deciding not to go. I’m debating making the effort this trip. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

i had a chance to dive in february for 2 dives in the park (cruise ship)i plan to go back and spend a week sometime.it is absolutely beautiful and i think a pass for that length of time is 45 dollars .dive buddy was the operator and seems like alot of people like and use them

I’d say it depends on what you are looking for. Looking for as many dives as possible? Maybe not worth it. OK with 2 dives on an all day adventure? It’s a good time. I though the dives were a little better, but maybe that was just luck. There are some other stops you can make. Old buildings, a couple of springs with birds and other wildlife, there’s a blowhole and some small beaches. Not everyone’s cup of tea but I enjoy seeing interesting landscapes and evidence of natures power.

You could likely fit in 3 dives if you were efficient and that’s all you were doing. Bring a lunch and expect it to be a whole day adventure.

Boka bartol and Playa bengé are for sure among my top 10 of dive locations on the island. Check the surface current, the surge might be strong and too difficult sometimes. Alternatives would be Playa funchi and Boka slagbaai. But i don.t get there that often, not with my own car anyway :wink: You need a full day for 2 dives, besides enjoying the views above water. 3 would be too much of a rush.

Make sure to leave Kralendijk at 7.30am to drive off, so you will be able to enter the park when it opens at 8am. Then you have till 4pm before you have to start driving back from Boka slagbaai to the exit.

Its a nice landscape driving in between cacti, some desert and wild west sort of landscapes, couple of small bays / beaches, snorkling at Wayaka 2 and Boka slagbaai.

Paul.

Slagbai is like taking a journey to the moon. Watch for the awesome Cara Caras.

I’d say it depends on what you are looking for. Looking for as many dives as possible? Maybe not worth it. OK with 2 dives on an all day adventure? It’s a good time. I though the dives were a little better, but maybe that was just luck. There are some other stops you can make. Old buildings, a couple of springs with birds and other wildlife, there’s a blowhole and some small beaches. Not everyone’s cup of tea but I enjoy seeing interesting landscapes and evidence of natures power.

You could likely fit in 3 dives if you were efficient and that’s all you were doing. Bring a lunch and expect it to be a whole day adventure.

I’m good with a day adventure with a couple of dives. This is our 4th trip in less than two years to Bonaire and have another trip booked in Sept and looking again for November. We just love the freedom of going at our own pace. We were there during Christmas and I planned to go to the Park but then decided not to. The furthest North we made it was Playa Frans which was pretty cool. There was literally no one there and we felt like we were in a movie waiting for something to happen. We definitely don’t try to get in as many dives as possible every day, but we do dive every day just at our own pace.

We made it our last day (non-diving). Nice snorkeling & incredible scenery. Then went to Cadushy Distillery in the afternoon.

I have done a 3 tank day trip. We began the morning at Between 2 Buns just after they opened and grabbed sandwiches that we put in a cooler in order to have some food for the day. Also carried plenty of water. We were able to do 3 dives pretty easily and be out of the park with plenty of time to spare and got in a 4th sunset dive back out our house reef. However, we chose to not go to the furthest north spots (Boka Bartol, Playa Benge...) and instead went to Wayaka 2 for two dives and Boka Slagbaai. This does save considerable drive time.

My takeaways:
1. It is really pretty and a very different experience
2. It is isolated. So, if you have car problems, an accident or dive related issue-- it could be very problematic
3. We were the only ones diving on those dives. Total solitude! But, that can also be had outside the national park
4. Weather and currents can be unpredictable and could potentially turn the day into a "bust"
5. We thought the dives at Wayaka were quite good and better than Slagbaai. Slagbaai is a truly great beach and wonderful setting though
6. I have not been back since. It was fun to do, glad I did it, but don't plan to return. It makes for a very long day and a ton of driving. If the diving experience was markedly better than other dive sites more easily reachable and safer, then I would return. But, in my opinion, they aren't and don't warrant the additional effort.
7. I have considered going back on an "off-gas" day. My flights return early Sunday mornings, so the last Saturday is a complete no dive day. It might be nice to take that day and do a leisurely drive through the park, pack a picnic, do some snorkeling, etc.. I'd rather do that than give up a dive day at dive sites much easier accessible.
8. There is no additional cost to enter the park if you keep and show the ticket that comes with your annual marine park pass.

Given the amount of Bonaire diving you are doing, I'd probably encourage you to go for it-- Do a 2 tank trip and see how you feel about it. Just keep in mind the potential hazards of the isolation. Self sufficiency is paramount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom