Bonaire - looking for recommendations for diving resorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JGoldman

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all.

I'm looking for recommendations for diving resorts and dive shops in Bonaire. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I was pretty happy with Buddy's a few years ago. Food and accommodation was good, truck was great to have, the tank station being right there was a boon, and of course the shore diving right off the dock made for lazy dives day or night.
They also had a food deal that took care of lunches and dinners pretty much.
The boat dives also were in areas that you wouldn't just swim to, but are of course optional.

Dive Friends......

Bonaire is small enough you can drive from wherever you stay to anywhere else. So location on-island isn't as big a deal as it would be with Roatan, from what I understand.

Proximity to the capital city (for big grocery stores & restaurants), the house reef (handy for night dives, and convenience dives) and locations farther north (Caribbean Club Bonaire) or south, whether there's an onsite restaurant or dive boat pickup, a number of things discriminate.

The the 1st timer, I would suggest you decide if walking into town is a big deal. I hear you can do that from Divi Flamingo, which is toward the south of town, and it seems to have its fans.

North of town, but still fairly centrally located on the island, there's a dive resort strip I'll list from north-to-south. To the north of them a little is the little Zhung Kong grocery store, which a number of us like.

1.) Beach Comber Villas (also Hamlet Oasis) - house reef is The Cliff.

2.) Captain Don's Habitat - nice house reef, but reviews are more mixed than some competitors from what I recall.

3.) Buddy Dive Resort - nice operation, airport shuttles to & from so they come get you & take you back, rental your truck on grounds, dive boats pick up there, nice house reef & it's nice whether you enter & head north, or south. Seems to be the standard others are measured against, & what I recommend for the 1st timer.

4.) Sand Dollar (Condo.s) - house reef is the well-loved Bari Reef. Choice of dive op.s; Dive Friends (seems very popular) or Bonaire Dive & Adventure (seems to me more mixed reviews, but you can use the pier if you are with BD&A, though I don't think that's a big deal).

Seems like on the forum I hear Buddy Dive & Sand Dollar mentioned the most, with a smattering of others afterward.

If you want an automatic transmission truck, request well in advance & expect to pay another $150 or so.

There are another of other options; I'm just laying out what I think are popular 1st line choices. In time, you may want to consider Bamboo Bali, Dive Hut, an all-inclusive at the Plaza, etc...

Richard.

P.S.: If you want to save yourself a head ache, book it with Buddy Dive Resort for your 1st trip. They're not perfect or everybody's favorite, but they're well-liked by a legion of customers, the house reef's fine, the restaurant is decent, it's good.

P.S. #2: The glory of Bonaire is shore diving. At Buddy's, boat trips may be single tank, and carry quite a number of people. If for whatever reason you plan to mainly boat dive & want to do small group diving, perhaps someone else can better inform the discussion.

Divi Flamingo is popular and close to everything but it is right next to town and where they dock the cruise ships and I understand that they get a lot of cruise ship visitors. I don't care for that, see this picture:
http://traveladdictsnet.c.presscdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/Bonaire-port.jpg

We find eating out on Bonaire 3 times a day can get expensive so we like to rent a kitchenette or apartment and make some of our meals. We usually stay at Den Laman and dive with the house dive op Bonaire Dive and Adventure. It is a good hotel and dive op, away from town but not real far, and they have a great house reef.

I have never stayed at the Plaza resort but it is an all-inclusive and the prices seem reasonable so it may be worth investigating.

No matter where you stay I recommend getting a car so that you can explore the island and try some shore diving.

Hi all.

I'm looking for recommendations for diving resorts and dive shops in Bonaire. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
if you provide some info regarding what features you are looking for you will get some more specific responses that can help narrow down your choices.

the extremes can range from "shore dive your brains out for cheap by cooking in an apartment" to "doing 1 dive a day from a highish end resort". with lots in between.

we use the divi because we like to dock dive and walk to town for supper at very nice restaurants. no truck, no "shore" dives, low effort, almost like a liveaboard for the lazy factor.

+1 for Dive Friends. Five locations to pick up air and drop off empties.

Hi all.

WAY too broad a question. You'll get more actionable responses if you can provide info on:

- how long you'll be there
- budget
- how many people in your party
- shore diving? boat diving? both?
- dining out or cooking in?

Bonaire is a candy store for divers... The wife and I stay at a friends home... Rent a pickup from budget and cook almost every meal at home... We use dive friends for two reasons... One they are very friendly and helpful, they really seem to take interest in your diving vacation... Two... They have dive shops everywhere and getting tanks is a breeze and the tanks are never short on gas... Always 3300+ .. I like that... We only do 2 or 3 dives a day and just love the island .... A favorite dive is sunset off the end of the runway.... Night dive the salt pier.... We love the himla hooker wreak.... Kaparta is a must see and don't forget the donkey farm on your off gas day... Nothing like 10 donkeys trying to get their heads in your car window...

Have fun... We are booked to return in October for our third trip in a year... Bonaire is that special to us...
And we spend two week at a time...
Jim...

WAY too broad a question. You'll get more actionable responses if you can provide info on:

- how long you'll be there
- budget
- how many people in your party
- shore diving? boat diving? both?
- dining out or cooking in?

Agreed. The search function and just scanning through the innumerable similar threads can also help.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom