Bonaire first timers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ironjock

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going to Bonaire for the first time in January.Looking for recommendations on best options on where to stay and dive shops. Is it best to just go through a resorts package deals or can you a la cart it fairly easy?. Thanks

There's a forum for that. Moved your thread there.
Bonaire

You can do ala cart fairly easily, but for a 1st timer in a new place, especially if you haven't set up a few topside dive trips before (your profile dive count is set at 50-99 so I'm guessing), the 'turn key easy' setup of a pre-configured package wit a resort (especially one with a nice house reef, like Buddy Dive Resort) can be a real plus.

If you don't drive manual transmission ('stick'), arrange for an automatic, but they are very much the exception so do so well in advance and it will cost extra.

Even with a package, when you get the rental they'll hit you up to get CDW insurance; not cheap, but a number of people consider worthwhile. Past discussions indicated people who think their credit card gives them CDW insurance as a perk find out it doesn't cover trucks, etc...

Medium-to-thick sole dive boots are your friend. Some places, like Oil Slick Leap, have topside areas that are so rough as to be jagged. Walking on that geared up in thin sole boots can hurt.

Dive Friends Bonaire gets a LOT of positive regard on the forum; Buddy Dive and Wanna Dive are also well-regarded. I think you'd be happy with any of those (I've used the latter two). DFB was multiple locations for tank pickup/drop-off, which would be handy.

Need more info. for where to stay. Going alone or taking a buddy or spouse? Any non-divers along? Are you low-budget (e.g.: I liked Dive Hut), mid-range (I liked Buddy Dive Resort; a lot of people spoke well of Sand Dollar Condo.s, Den Lamen and Divi Flamingo; Scuba Board's used the Plaza (an A.I. that can handle large groups) for big trips) or higher end/luxury (Harbor Village comes to mind by reputation - I'm too cheap for that!)? Do you like near town, or rustic?

Richard.

+1 for Dive Friends - multiple locations across the island
Been to Bonaire twice over the past 12 months. Have stayed at Divi and Captain Don's. I would say both were average although the house reef at Capt Dons was better. Both resorts dive shops were ok, well organized and well equipped but cater to the larger dive groups versus the one off (my wife does not dive) like me. Personally I'd stay north of town and away from the cruise ships.

For your first trip to Bonaire you may want to do the easy thing and go to dive resort like Capt Don's and Buddys Dive. Also if you are looking for a guide or PADI instructor give Paul a ring @ www.bonscuba.com.

Btw - my wife and I are planning a trip in early 2020 to Bonaire and are favouring Den Lamen or Sand Dollar. For us, the ideal location (we walk into town), Dive Friends is on location and there is a decent beach.

Search these resorts in the Bonaire folder and you will see plenty of comments and advice. Whatever place you pick, the island itself is geared towards us divers and I'm sure you will have a blast.

There's a forum for that. Moved your thread there.
Bonaire
I
You can do ala cart fairly easily, but for a 1st timer in a new place, especially if you haven't set up a few topside dive trips before (your profile dive count is set at 50-99 so I'm guessing), the 'turn key easy' setup of a pre-configured package wit a resort (especially one with a nice house reef, like Buddy Dive Resort) can be a real plus.

If you don't drive manual transmission ('stick'), arrange for an automatic, but they are very much the exception so do so well in advance and it will cost extra.

Even with a package, when you get the rental they'll hit you up to get CDW insurance; not cheap, but a number of people consider worthwhile. Past discussions indicated people who think their credit card gives them CDW insurance as a perk find out it doesn't cover trucks, etc...

Medium-to-thick sole dive boots are your friend. Some places, like Oil Slick Leap, have topside areas that are so rough as to be jagged. Walking on that geared up in thin sole boots can hurt.

Dive Friends Bonaire gets a LOT of positive regard on the forum; Buddy Dive and Wanna Dive are also well-regarded. I think you'd be happy with any of those (I've used the latter two). DFB was multiple locations for tank pickup/drop-off, which would be handy.

Need more info. for where to stay. Going alone or taking a buddy or spouse? Any non-divers along? Are you low-budget (e.g.: I liked Dive Hut), mid-range (I liked Buddy Dive Resort; a lot of people spoke well of Sand Dollar Condo.s, Den Lamen and Divi Flamingo; Scuba Board's used the Plaza (an A.I. that can handle large groups) for big trips) or higher end/luxury (Harbor Village comes to mind by reputation - I'm too cheap for that!)? Do you like near town, or rustic?

Richard.
Thanks for the info! My wife and I both dive. We are choosing between Sand dollar and Capt. Dons at this point. Thanks to all

Going to Bonaire for the first time in January.Looking for recommendations on best options on where to stay and dive shops. Is it best to just go through a resorts package deals or can you a la cart it fairly easy?. Thanks
Check out Villa Safir.....They have a package with diving, lodging, and a pickup truck. They are awesome people and the place is beautiful! Bonaire Villa Safir - B&B Intimate Hotel

My wife and I went for the first time this year. It’s cheaper and maybe easier to do a package. For us, we hate resorts. I don’t want to see the same obnoxious a-hole every single day. Which is what always happens. So we got an Airbnb and did a package with buddy dive for fills. The person who rented us the house also set up a truck at a discount for us. We were very glad we went that way. When we went there were 2 very large groups of vacation divers associat3 with a couple shops at Buddy’s. It was full of loud-mouth, obnoxious know it all divers that had no clue on how not to be annoying. Every time we went to Buddy’s we ran into these idiots and their snotty kids. Thank god we chose not to stay at a resort. Not the type of vacation headaches we like.

If it's just you and your wife, might look at this. Beachcomber Villas It's where we stay. The owners live onsite and are divers. They are very nice and helpful when you want it. Nice niche between a dive resort and going it alone. Have fun. :)

IIRC from one of the @scubadada trip reports, Sand Dollar (Den Lamen is adjacent) has a small sandy beach area, which is a bit unusual in Bonaire. If that appeals to either of you.

I've actually got my eye on Sand Dollar Condo.s for a hoped for return trip, Lord willing and providing. Solo - if my wife and our little girl were going, that little beach would be a big deal

Someone's post in another thread reminded me - in Bonaire for whatever reason, the little hand 'washcloths' we're used to in America aren't a thing. You get regular towels and hand towels, but not washcloths. At least as of when I was there (not since 2014). Mosquitos going after your legs when you dine out evenings are a thing. Take some pump action mosquito spray, and be mindful higher concentrations of DEET can break down plastics, so watch it around some of your gear.

Places I've stayed in Bonaire at times used solar-powered water heating systems. It was okay, but the 'hot' water wasn't markedly hot. Also with an eye toward conserving (money, at least), cleaning ladies might turn off your AC if you're not there during the day (look'in at you, Buddy Dive Resort). Don't be shocked if you get back from diving and your place is rather hot one day. Electricity is expensive in Bonaire.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom