Bonaire - dive site recommendations/advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KeeganG

New
Reaction score
Hi all - I'm planning a trip to Bonaire for mid-late May and wanted to get some suggestions on can't miss shore dive sites on the island, and any advice on how to organize the shore dives, and generally what to do. I've heard that there are issues with break-ins and theft when leaving vehicles unattended at some of the dive sites - any thoughts/advice on that?

Everything helps! Thanks!

The long-standing practice when shore diving is leave your rental truck doors unlocked with windows down (unless it's raining) so petty thieves can search the truck without breaking any windows, and leave nothing of significant value for them to steal (rental tanks are okay to leave). You'll need a way to take your key fob with you on the dive, that keeps it dry. I use DryFob.

Okay, assuming you're looking at a week in Bonaire, I'll aim for a north-to-south selection of dives (but get a couple out of order). I may pair some, so you hit a couple in one truck trip.

1.) Tolo and Karpata - Karpata because it has interesting structure and good reef, Tolo because your trip to Karpata commits you to a one-way road with a long trip home, so you might as well get a good 2nd dive in from a site on that stretch.

2.) 1,000 Steps and Oil Slick Leap. 1,000 Because the staircase is sort of iconic, albeit you will feel the burn coming back up (it's as far north as you can go without hitting the one way strip). Oil Slick Leap's giant stride in is also iconic, and it's a nice reef really close to where you jump in.

3.) The Cliff - nice vertical wall stretch. The only site like it I've seen is Small Wall, and that's probably a boat dive unless you stay where it's a house reef. If you stay at Buddy Dive or Captain Don's, pair with the reef stretch they share; quite good.

4.) Bari Reef - you can get there from the round-about south of Sand Dollar and Den Lamen; good reef, well-known from some study that counted a whole bunch of creatures here.

5.) Something Special - can be tricky to find, but a fairly nice dive.

6.) Windsock - decent dive, and especially good for night dives because that big fueling pier you can exit beside makes it easy to see where to get out. A little to the south is the Cactus Blue food truck.

7.) The Lake - pretty easy entry/exit, you can circle a big patch of sand so navigation is particularly easy, and you can do both inner and outer reef on that route. The wall you enter and exit by would likely to useful for knowing where to exit on a night dive.

8.) Bachelor's Beach - sandy entry/exit, and there's a food truck here with French fries. Nice dive.

9.) Aquarius - rather easy entry/exit.

10.) Hilma Hooker - the big wreck. Surprisingly good reef.

11.) Salt Pier. Multiple clumps of pilings; unique on Bonaire.

12.) The far southern sites where the reef is particularly lush with gorgonians - Margate Bay, Red Beryl, Vista Blue and (my favorite) Sweet Dreams. Kite boarders venture away from Atlantis; Margate Bay or Sweet Dreams may give you more space from them.

I skipped some good diving. Andrea I and II up north, and I didn't get into boat-only sites like on Klein Bonaire (I've only dove one site there). Then there's the east coast, with sites like Cai (highly recommend BasDiving.com if you want to try that).

My Research Notes for Bonaire - My Research Note For Bonaire

8 Day Trip Report: Sand Dollar, Dive Friends

2022 Trip Report Bonaire Trip Report - V.I.P. Divers/Aqua Viva Suites

Pick up the books Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy and Reef Smart Guide Bonaire. DIve Guide Bonaire is a good one but seems to be out of print currently. These have details on all the sites and give you a sense of where they are and how to categorize them (e.g., southern sites with strong current, in-town sites, northern sites where the road narrows, etc.). And of course if you haven't already, search this forum with keywords like "first Bonaire trip" and "Bonaire tips." Rest assured, the same questions about the logistics and practicalities of Bonaire shore diving, as well as vehicle security, have occurred to all of us on our first trips.

All the marked sites are fairly easy entry and exit if the water is flat to flattish. Leave truck unlocked nothing of value inside. Scuba tanks in back are fine. Windows down so long as it's not threatening to pour.

In the am, grab two sets of tanks and head north, do one dive before it becomes one way and one after. Have lunch in Rincon. Going south grab two sets go to your furthest south point for the first dive and head back towards town for the second.

Also, you could watch some of the "A Diver's Life" videos on YouTube, they detail many of the popular sites with video of the entry, tips specific to each site and some generally useful Bonaire tips.

@KeeganG my wife and I have a YouTube channel pretty much dedicated to Bonaire shore diving. We have tips & tricks videos for many of the dive sites, as well as other informational videos. Here’s a good one to start with: Enjoy your trip!

Actually, this is the guy ^^^^ I was thinking of, the other guy has some nice Bonaire videos as well.

@KeeganG ,@USC8791

But this one goes to 11

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom