Bonaire & Curacao in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Cimic Sans FirebrickAhoy there fellow salts ! I am goign to Bonaire & Curacao in late August with my girl. We are staying at Divi for 6 days and then taking the ferry to Curacao to Capt. Dons for another 4 days. Anyone stayed at Divi recently and Capt. Dons in Curacao ? Any tips and updates are appreciated. Thank you in advance for your responses. Good Divin to all. Scubaboy:mean:

Hi George!

Sorry to break the news but there is no longer ferry service between Bonaire and Curacao. See this link for details:

Nonetheless, I hope you have a great trip and get some great diving in. Please post trip reports on the board once you come back.

Daryl

Baaaad news for us. Now if we want to go to Curacao we have to take a plane and then we loose another day of diving. Not good. Thanx for the bad news. At least now we know. Back to plan B. Good viz, Scubaboy.

Been to Habitat (Captain Don's) Curacao several times, going back with friends in late July. It's a nice place, good dive op with good shore diving right there. Standard Captain Don's "diving freedom", no one hassles you about anything, no one nags you to get back in time for lunch, etc. I prefer it to Bonaire, while the diving is similar Curacao has a bit more variety, and we always seem to see more different critters large and small. Have had good luck right off hotel with stuff like scorpionfish (counted 8 on one small coral head!), a few seahorses, frogfish, turtles, conger eels freeswimming at night. Have seen dolphins passing by from the hotel but never been in water at the same time.

The restaurant at Habitat was surprisingly good the very first time we were there, just after they opened, and we found the food and service went downhill on each subsequent visit. Don't know what it's like lately but I'll find out soon. There's many good restaurants in and on the way to town, and the town is a pretty interesting place to explore. We always rent a car for at least part of the time, as Habitat is a good ways from town (not entirely a bad thing.) You get used to the drive after a few times. There's a hotel shuttle of sorts but the schedule isn't real convenient, it's ok for some daytime shopping or exploring but not if you want to go someplace for dinner. It stops early, I think it's mostly for Habitat employees during some hours and "guest shuttle" is an afterthought.

We flew Divi Divi air from Curacao to Bonaire in May. The flight was a little 8 seater plane that was also the mail delivery. The flight was only 20 minutes long.

They knew we were divers so they stayed fairly low, ~1200 feet. We'd been out of the water for 14 hours when we caught the plane. No one on the plane experienced any side effects from flying even though we were over the recommended altitude.

I hear Bonaire is very strict about not allowing you to fly sooner than 24 hours after diving but how would they know? In the end it's your health and decision.

Aquagal

Thanx for all the responses, I appreciate it. I have gone ahead and booked a flight from Bonaire to Curacao with Divi Divi Air. The plane leaves at 4:15 pm. That means we can still do 3 dives the day before and still be o.k. to fly. Our last dive in Bonaire should be over by 3:00 pm, I'm sure. Anyway thanx again to all. I'm glad I posted the thread. Good Viz, George:idea:

I don't think so. We may pass each other at the airport, that's about it. We arrive at 7:30 PM the night of the 23rd. :-( Too bad though we always enjoy meeting other divers from different places of the country and the world. As a matter of fact we were just at Haigh Quarry this past weekend in Kankakee, or is it Bourbounais, I don't know hell ! I know we were there. Have you guys ever dived there ? Well have a great time. We are going to Curacao after Bonaire for 4 days. Figured we are in the vicinity, why not. Lets do it up ! Well have a great trip. Good Diving & Good Viz to you. See ya ! George:thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom