Bonaire airport closing evenings 13 feb - 27 mar 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvrliz1

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
For those of you who are making connections in Curacao Sunday - Thursday, you need to check with your airline you are using between Curacao and Bonaire, particularly DUTCH ANTILLES EXPRESS AND INSEL. The Bonaire Airport will be closed at night, so no incoming flights. Not sure what they are doing about the KLM flight that comes in during the middle of the night.....

Due to renovations the Bonaire Flamingo Airport will close early starting February 13th. InselAir advises all passengers travelling to, from and via Bonaire to contact either InselAir or Flamingo Airport for more information on their flights.
The Bonaire Flamingo Airport will close at following times

February 13 - March 27 2011

Sunday 6.00PM
Monday 6.00PM
Tuesday 7.45PM
Wednesday 6.00PM
Thursday 8.45PM
Friday Open
Saturday Open
For more information please check our website or call
Flamingo Airport +599 717 5600 or InselAir Bonaire +599 717 2004

I am on the KLM flight (in the middle of the night) that comes in on the 20th.
I'll try to contact them right away and try to find out.

thanks for the info.

I am on the KLM flight (in the middle of the night) that comes in on the 20th.
I'll try to contact them right away and try to find out.

thanks for the info.

My hubby found this online:

"A major renovation of the runway at Bonaire International Airport, also known as Flamingo Airport, will begin on Sunday, February 13, 2011 and will take approximately four to five months to complete. To reduce flight interruption, the work will be done during the evenings, and not during the day, but there will be evening flights which are affected by the airport closings.
Passengers should be aware of the renovation schedule. From February 13 to March 27, 2011, the airport will be closed on Sundays, Mondays, and Wednesdays from 6:00 PM until the following morning at 4:00 AM. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, the airport will close at 7:45 PM and open the following morning at at 5:45 AM. On Fridays and Saturdays, there will be no renovation and the airport will be open normal hours. The schedule for the remainder of the renovation will be announced when it becomes available. KLM has announced their flight schedule will remain the same, but passengers planning to fly in or out of Bonaire during this time frame are encouraged to check with their airline to verify flight times. For passengers connecting into or out from Curacao and Aruba, it is recommended they check with their connecting airlines for schedule changes and availability.
The renovation was approved and announced last summer and will bring the airport into compliance with international safety requirements. The renovation consists of removing and replacing the top five centimeters of runway asphalt, building two new turning areas for aircraft, along with new lighting, indication signs and approach lights. The control tower will also be equipped with a new electrical and control system, and there will be a new fence around the entire airport. The Fire Department will have a new access road to the runway, and eventually a new fire station will be built. The cost of the renovation is approximately $20 million and will be funded by the Ministry of Infrastructure and Environment. (Source: Bonaire International Airport Press Release)"

seems to be constructed arround the KLM scedule...

I called Insel air this morning as we're arriving or were supposed to arrive 9:30 pm Wednesday March 16th. Apparently, it was very short notice on the closing of the airport as they couldn't even help me with any re-scheduling.
The above article states this was approved a year ago so why they are closing the airport with just over a months notice is beyond me. Going to cause a lot of people money I'm sure as our flight to Curacao will now require an overnight.

Well - dang it. 3 of my dive mates and I are scheduled to go to Bonaire on March 3 arriving at 9:30PM. I just talked to Insel and we need to overnite in Curacao. Any recommendation on a good hotel near the airport?

There's only one - good depends on your standards. There's a few reviews on TripAdvisor. They don't have a website. Curacao Airport Hotel / Small Hotels / Where to Stay / Home - Curacao

The Curacao Hilton or the Marriott Emerald Bay are the next closest. Next would be some of the other Small Hotels listed in the link above. Something on the Otrabunda side would be closer but many are on the Punda side downtown. You'll need a car/cab also - no one that I'm aware of has an airport shuttle.

added evenings..

Last edited:
We will be staying at the Waterlands, very close to the airport.

We arrive May 5th. Will our flights be affected in May? I did call Insel and they said they would call ticket holders soon to alert them of flight changes, if any. But I was thinking the construction and the closings were going on through July. I read an article on Bonaireinfo.com

Also, what about the noise at night since we are so close to the airport at the Waterlands?????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom