Bonaire 2009 trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaducer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, having flown from Bonaire yesterday:depressed:, waking up to 10 inches of snow this morning:shocked2:, believe me I have spent alot of time reflecting!

I was not sure what to expect with some conflicting reports about diving conditions after Omar, and I found good and bad sites.

My first dive of the trip was on the Hilma Hooker. The old girl is the same as ever, however the reef is covered in brown algae right now. I spoke with Roeland from Wannadive and he admitted the algae, a normal bloom occurs about twice a year, is worse than normal this year. I am happy to report this was the only site where the algae really stuck out.

Other Southern sites we dove were Invisibles, Aquarius, Tori's Reef, Montana, Red Beryl, and Salt City. The farther south you go the more color, critters, and soft corals I saw. Most of the action was in the shallows this year, with dolphins at the drop off at Red Beryl, and an eagle ray in the shallows at Montana. I think of the sites I just listed I liked Tori's Reef the best, it was also the best vis of the trip.

Mid island sites were Bari Reef, Yellow Submarine, and Eden Beach. Bari and Eden were new sites for me, Yellow Submarine again did not disappoint with a decent but not great reef(compared to the rest of the island), but none-the-less an octopus at night and bonefish by day makes this a mysterious site, you never know what you are going to see there. Bari, well, I am not sure if it was affected by Omar since I never dove there before, but it seemed, well, underwhelming considering the hype. Also, I should point out that Bonaire Dive and Adventure refused to allow us to dive from their property, we went in from Sand Dollar. Never had anyone turn me away in three years.:shakehead:

The only northern sites I did was Andrea II and Oil Slick. Oil Slick was missing some, but not all, of the shallow coral heads. Below the dropoff the reef was the same as I remembered it, some dead or damaged coral but mostly intact. Andrea on the other hand was pure devastation. Every outcropping I remembered what I saw there last year, but now, well, it was not pretty. My buddy enjoyed the dive, but if it is one of your favorite sites, maybe you want to remember it as it was.

Eels were plentiful, I saw goldentail morays almost every 5 feet it seemed, and the usual assortment of spotteds. I saw a chain moray, some sharptail eels, and yes, even one gigantor green! For me at least I did not notice any issues regarding the eel kill, I saw them just as I always have.

It seemed also that there were plenty of peacock flounder. I have never seen so many. Also some horse eye jacks, I am not sure I ever saw them in Bonaire before, but there were several there this year.

As far as macro goes, it seems I lost my mojo, I saw very little this year. No seahorses, no frogfish, only a few sea slug and the usual shrimps. Saw a slipper lobster but no spineys. I noticed far fewer anemone this year.

The island itself is the same as ever. There are some new additions, including a very nice and surprisingly large grocery in Hato. I see new building everywhere, and unlike previous years I also see workers there. There is also some trenching going on, but this was not something that affected us. I also noticed more cruise ships in port this year than last.

So, some good, some not so good, but by and large the diving is still spectacular, and I am sure in that the reef will heal completely.

Thanks!

You've brought back my PBD... Post Bonaire Depression...

I've actually been looking into time-shares for two years...

Drew,

Wish we had more time together....PM me and let me know what you thought of Bamboo....

Thanks.

Liz

Hi,

This is my first post.
Thanks for the update on Bonaire. My wife and I will be going down there in June. It will be our first trip there. We are looking forward to it.

Fishfin

Also, I should point out that Bonaire Dive and Adventure refused to allow us to dive from their property, we went in from Sand Dollar. Never had anyone turn me away in three years.:shakehead:

Andre (I think that's his name) -the fat cranky guy at BDA- gave me crap about using the dock too. He threatened to call the cops when I told him I was going to use the beach entry. He said (paraphrase) "You can't use our sidewalk then, we own it. I'll call the cops on you for trespassing."

He wanted us to sign a release waiver for using the dock. To which we said "fine." But the shop had just closed and he said we would have to come back to sign it the next day before we could dive. He was a real A**hole about it too!! :cussing:I mean he didn't even try to be nice about it!

I forgot to ask STINAPA if he could deny anyone access. I will now that you reminded me. I also wanted to find out who actually owned the walkway to the sand, BDA or Den Laman?

Does anyone know?

Your right about that guy at BDA, he really is a jerk. I knew about this before hand and made sure we had filled out a release when we dove that site. The release by the way is the same application that divers use at BDA, in other words they want to know everything about you including your mother's madien name. Ridiculous... I just put my name on it and signed it. He really does not get diving freedom.

This is the major reason I try to direct people away from Den Lamon and BDA.

We stayed at Den Laman last year and used BDA for all of our diving and had no problem. We also saw non-BDA divers using the dock nearly every single day without any problems from anyone at BDA. We were told that anyone can use BDA's dock as long as they fill out the release form, but whether or not that's the case, there's simply NO excuse for anyone being rude.

When we return to Den Laman this summer (June/July) for 2 weeks I'm definitely going to pay attention and see if I notice anything.

Andre (I think that's his name) -the fat cranky guy at BDA- gave me crap about using the dock too. He threatened to call the cops when I told him I was going to use the beach entry. He said (paraphrase) "You can't use our sidewalk then, we own it. I'll call the cops on you for trespassing."

He wanted us to sign a release waiver for using the dock. To which we said "fine." But the shop had just closed and he said we would have to come back to sign it the next day before we could dive. He was a real A**hole about it too!! :cussing:I mean he didn't even try to be nice about it!

I forgot to ask STINAPA if he could deny anyone access. I will now that you reminded me. I also wanted to find out who actually owned the walkway to the sand, BDA or Den Laman?

Does anyone know?

I am sure property owners can restrict access via their property, just like here in the States, but I would be willing to bet that below the high tide line they have no authority.

I went into the shop looking to sign the waiver, I had no issues with that idea, however we were told no, not even then. The next day we parked at Sand Dollar and walked though the courtyard suited up, down the stairs and in we went, nobody said anything.

...............The next day we parked at Sand Dollar and walked though the courtyard suited up, down the stairs and in we went, nobody said anything.

Actually, I think the yellow rock with the Bari Reef label on it is at the Sand Dollar main entrance. I'm not going to defend the attitudes of personnel at BDA, but their driveway/parking situation is rather tight at times.

For what it's worth, Bari Reef is easily reached from a short dirt road that approaches the shore adjacent to the south side of Den Leman/BDA. Enter there and Bari is directly in front of you. Parking is closer to the water than you can get if you parked at either BDA or Sand Dollar. Folks also dive Front Porch from there and all along the same road after it turns south along the shore. It's easy to do the two dives from the same parking location.

I am sure property owners can restrict access via their property, just like here in the States, but I would be willing to bet that below the high tide line they have no authority.

I don't think they can restrict access. That's my point.

You said you just entered from the Sand Dollar property. Well what if Sand Dollar decided they were "going to call the cops on you for trespassing?" Before you know it, you have a situation where the majority of West Coast "shore dives" have to be done by boat because you can't access any of them.

I am not sure, but I think BDA is out of line in this case. He may be able to get away with having divers sign a waiver for actual dock use, but I would like to think he can't stop you from walking across the property to walk into the water via that little stretch of beach.

Besides, I really doubt that BDA owns ALL the actual walkways and "grounds" and that the Den Laman owners only have rights to the actual building. That is what Andre was insinuating to me. Sounds like a load of BS.

Back
Top Bottom