Bolts too short - loosen isolator before switching?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrVegas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, getting ready to take brand new doubles out for a spin, but in check setup, the bolts are too short and the wing nut won't take a thread. If I just put new bolts in, do I loosen the manifold first, or if I only do one bolt at a time, do I just leave it alone?

Is there pressure in the system?

Drain the tanks, replace one bolt at a time, keep the 11" spacing between bolts.

Also, is there 'excess' bolt behind the bands that you can just slide (via nuts) forward to mate with your backplate?

_R

You guys are fast -- I love scubaboard.

Yes, the tanks are full. Unfortunately, it looks like the bolts were screwed in all the way and then cut (probably with bolt cutters). Thus, there is no extra bolt to push through. I have a Dive Rite back plate, maybe the "V" is a little shallower than what the shop was expecting.

If it's necessary to drain the tanks, I'll call it a day and take it back to the shop (with my setup this time). Ugh . . . such a little thing. Just an extra 1/4 to 1/2 inch might have been enough. I suppose I'm glad I caught it in the basement instead of at the dive site.

If I was concerned about loosening the band without draining the tank I would take a suitable size hose clamp and keep the band compressed with that while I changed the bolts.

Since you are replacing the threaded rod, do yourself a favor and pick up a couple of extra nuts and lock washers.

I've set mine up like this so I don't have to futz with the tweaking the length every year when they are VIPped:

Wingnut-plate ---- nut-band-nut-------band-nut (sorry, not in the position to take a picture ATM)

The left pair of nuts sets the depth on the plate side. Loosen just the right nut to release the band for disassembly.

ETA: FWIW, my Dive Rite plate is a little flatter than my OMS

ETA: FWIW, my Dive Rite plate is a little flatter than my OMS

That's good to know and thanks to everyone for the tips. I'm guessing they just cut the bolts to a standard plate depth -- I should have brought my own gear in for them to check. Lesson learned there.

Bolts should be just below flush with the top of the tanks if you lay a straight edge across the bands.

That's good to know and thanks to everyone for the tips. I'm guessing they just cut the bolts to a standard plate depth -- I should have brought my own gear in for them to check. Lesson learned there.
Just to clarify, my suggestion only will work with threaded rod, not bolts.

On the plus side, threaded rod with a little extra length gives you some adjustability.

Bolts should be just below flush with the top of the tanks if you lay a straight edge across the bands.

That's pretty close to where they are. The plate itself will go on the doubles without the wing, although there is not a lot of extra thread. Add the wing, and then the nuts won't go on. Maybe I'm missing something simple. The wing is a Dive Rite Rec XT (LP85s). Total length of bolts from end to end is about 4.25 inches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom