Bolt Snap on Regulator 2nd Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CALI68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Can I please get some info on the best way to attach a bolt snap to the secong stage? Also, is there a rule of thumb for the placement? I have seen it near the connection and I have seen it down the hose a bit.

Thanks!

As close to the second stage as possible. The idea being you don't want it dangling too far when clipped off.

Most divers I know tie theirs on with cave line - take a few wraps around both the hose and the boltsnap, secure with a reef knot on each side. Sorta hard to explain... I found a good link once with a pic, I'll see if I can find it again.

FreeFloat:
Most divers I know tie theirs on with cave line -

Not to quibble but I thought the BS on the 2nd stage was supposed to have a breakaway connection? That allows the reg to be deployed in an emergency without having to unclip.

Since you donate whats in your mouth and go to your backup, there is no need for a breakaway on the long hose. If your long hose is clipped off, that means you're on a stage and that's what you donate in an OOA or the reg isn't functioning and is clipped off. No need to donate in the second case since it doesn't work.

Green_Manelishi:
Not to quibble but I thought the BS on the 2nd stage was supposed to have a breakaway connection? That allows the reg to be deployed in an emergency without having to unclip.

As posted the from the article above

"It is also important to point out that the regulator can be breathed while still clipped, so in an emergency if you go to a diver and they have not or can not provide a breathable regulator, you can go directly to the chest."

Must be one of those evolving things as everything used to be all about having a breakaway on your long hose. Now its all about caveline.

d33ps1x:
This has been hammered out a few times already on here and the answer is generally no. Check the DIR archives.

I do not read all of the posts. I am regretting even responding to this one. In any case I searched the archives and stand corrected. :dazzler1:

Perhaps I'll go home, break my primary 2nd stage away from the boltsnap and tie it on. But I doubt it :eyebrow:

I know i had just read a post from UP on here about the subject and now its gone. Either i am getting old and my eyes are playing tricks on me or UP pulled a fast one :wink:

The link that FreeFloat provided also includes directions for breakaway clips at the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom