Bohol fishermen slaughter Thresher Shark in Balicasag protected area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same thing happens pretty much everywhere in the Philippines unfortunately- the sanctuaries are anything but and the fees go to in to the local Tanud's pocket. I love the Philippines but the blatant corruption is very sad to see.

I remember I was on one trip to Gato Island off Malapascua and there was a long lining boat pulling in fish. We'd just finished our dives- paid the extra fees etc. Our boat veered towards the longliners- I thought 'Here we go, they'll give them a telling off' but no, the longliners just threw a few fish to the boys and we carried on our merry way.

The only area I thought was properly protected was Puerta Galera and I think that only worked because of the hard work the foreign-owned DCs were putting in to making sure the area was not being raped by fishermen.

There are many problems in the Philippines- I lived there for almost 2 years and learnt to fish filipino style for small reef fishes to supplement my meager DM salary. My best friend lived without electricity or running water with 2 kids and a leaky roof and no windows. I met him as he was selling fruit on the corner of a road I would pass everyday. He introduced me to his kickboxing gym and showed me the dirtier side of the Philippines. We went in to the slums to visit his friends, we went fishing with little spearguns made from no8 wire and tubing, we drank rat-arse Tuba, Tanduay and Red Horse (sometimes in the same pot), killed and roasted pigs, and we did a lot of 'standby' at the crossing. I taught him to dive and he became my uncertified assistant. He taught me to speak a little dialect. (He couldn't read and so doing a licensed course was out of the question). But he helped me above and under the water. He was/is a great guy and I hope to get enough money to go back to the Phils one day and see him and his family again.

.....anyway enough memory lane stuff- the Filipino people are hurting a lot from political corruption and poverty is the norm. For many many people, a big catch- like a manta, shark or turtle means more money in the pocket for that week. I hate to see the diversity of the reefs suffer the way they do in the Phils from bad fishing practices, dynamite, cyanide and the rest.... but I understand the reasons why- they're desperate.

For many many people, a big catch- like a manta, shark or turtle means more money in the pocket for that week. I hate to see the diversity of the reefs suffer the way they do in the Phils from bad fishing practices, dynamite, cyanide and the rest.... but I understand the reasons why- they're desperate.

SuperG, you are quite right, you quite eloquently describe the plight of the poor filipino fisherman. However, at the same time, I think it's important to make clear that an explanation of why these unsustainable fishing practices occur does not equate into a justification. What these poor fisherfolk need is education into sustainable fishing practices. They need to understand that dynamiting the reef today equals no fish tomorrow and for years to come. Education can and does work. Shame also helps too, so episodes such as these deserve as much negative publicity as they can get.

Let me toss this into the mix on the education aspect:

Drugs are used to collect untold number of aquarium size fish in the Philippines. No doubt those collectors are paid by the fish and if so numbers matter. Those fish are then shipped to developed countries to people who can afford to spend upwards of hundreds of dollars on a single fish. One can only guess how many of those fish die in transit from shipper to wholesaler to retailer. Quite often they perish on the consumer from the drugs used to collect them. How about educating the hobbyist on that? Do they already know how these fish are collected? Do they really care? Maybe it's sort of like blaming the countries that grow drugs rather than the wealthier countries that use them?

I watched the near-shore reefs on Maui become near depleted of Yellow Tang fish as a result of collection for shipping to mainland hobbyists. And that was done by "educated" people.

Gilligan,

The other side of that medal is that in Caribbean waters (or is Florida waters?) lion fish showed up out of pretty much nowhere without any predators and now roam freely there, after having been released from aquariums.

I think it's important to make clear that an explanation of why these unsustainable fishing practices occur does not equate into a justification. What these poor fisherfolk need is education into sustainable fishing practices. They need to understand that dynamiting the reef today equals no fish tomorrow and for years to come. Education can and does work. Shame also helps too, so episodes such as these deserve as much negative publicity as they can get.

The justification is simply that many people are hungry and need fish to eat. There are many underlying reasons for poverty in the Philippines: corruption, unemployment, lack of affordable education, over-population, incomplete infrastructure...... Unfortunately the reality is a bit of a 'fait accompli'; foreign-owned fishing boats came and plundered and a few officials got a little bit richer. People around the world will lie, steal, cheat and even kill to feed their children.

As Giligan pointed out, the aquarium trade is another way for some filipinos to get their daily bread. Unscrupulous operators turn a blind eye to how the fish are collected. The fishermen are diving extremely deep on hookah for many species of juvenile fish and they poison the reef to draw the fish out. Fishermen receive as little as 5-10 pesos per fish (US 10cents). The same fish will eventually sell in London for.... $$$$$ by people who sometimes turn around and lament the destruction of the reef from long-lining or nets.

Education is fine and proper. However an educated man with hungry kids will still go out and catch fish in whichever method they can, in order to feed his family. By supporting homegrown, environmentally sustainable operators with your tourist dollars, we can help the everyday reality of many a family in countries like the Philippines.

I do not support the idea of catching sharks, turtles, mantas etc- from my lofty position I can afford to have the luxury of promoting other ways to make money. Until ruling bodies (and by this I don't mean governments) create solutions to local poverty, people will do what they must. Because there is no such solutions in effect, I feel that individuals are justified in doing what they must. It saddens me.

SuperG, maybe if I clarify my point, we can agree. I agree with everything you say except your first sentence and your second to last sentence. There is nothing wrong with a Filipino going out fishing to feed his family.

However, there can be no justification for unsustainable fishing practices. What I am referring to are fishing practices that break the law, i.e., dynamiting the reef, poaching, fishing in protected areas, finning sharks, etc. Not only is it illegal, but it is ecological suicide. Therefore it cannot be justified. The person who is doing these things is either knowingly breaking the law and/or is ignorant of the fact that what they are doing is wrong.

I honestly believe ecological suicide is taking place in the Philippines as respects the marine life. There are very little large fish left on the near-shore reefs. Fishermen are on the reefs here in Bohol every day. The dive boat crews fish for small aquarium size fish to make soup with while the divers are on their dive. I have never seen any enforcement in any so called "sancturay" in any part of the Philippines I have been in.

There are approximately 100 million people in the Philippines all of whom eat fish, or would like to. Yes, fish farming is done. But still, no one is going to tell a Filipino where not to fish. It just ain't gonna happen. So called "Sanctuary areas" would have to be left unmolested for a few years for them to replenish and that ain't gonna happen either. There are no means of enforcement such as patrol boats and/or staff for them even if they existed. Fishermen would simply text each other as to the location of the boat in order to avoid it.

Preserving the reefs in the Philippines is an overwhelming task and I personally do not believe it will be accomplished from what I have observed. Local citizens are afraid of poachers because they are sometimes armed. Reporting the poachers to the police could result in retaliation against the informer as well as to his or her family members. The complications are endless.

I'm afraid the expression "and then there were none" is not that many years down the road.

I have never seen any enforcement in any so called "sancturay" in any part of the Philippines I have been in.

From my experience here in Dauin the coastal sanctuaries are protected quite well. Do the fisherman fish 20m outside the sanctuary lines...yes. Do they fish inside....nope. If they do are they then removed....yes. Same at Sumilon Island too. Not sure about Siquijor. Apo Island from what I understand is allowed to be fished by the population resident to the island.

Back
Top Bottom