Boating Safety Class Today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DustyC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My Fire Dept hosted a USCG Boating Safety class today, and invited me to speak to the class about dive flags and what they mean. It was apparent that many of the people in class had never considered the idea that divers would dive the same lakes they'd boat in. Hopefully I got through to some people. We host the class twice a year and they asked me to attend each time just to do that part.

Dusty,
Good for you!
I assume you are using Chapmans Small boat handling as a text.

FYI on September 22, 1962 the very first accident involved a diver being struck by a boat while fling the then new divers flag. I was called as the only "Expert witness " for the litigation as a result of that accident.

About a year or so later I was contacted to write the description of the diver flag for Chapmans and the US GC auxiliary

Any resemblance to what I submitted and what was printed is purely coincidental.

I a[appreciate your efforts in spreading the word---keep up the work !

SDM

I'm not sure what they used. They had me in to put a human touch on it. They figured it's one thing to see in a book that there may me divers down there, it's another for a dive to say "it could be ME down there." I couldn't disagree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom