Boat Pickup at Southern Resorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richhagelin

Contributor
Reaction score
I just con e-mailed with Sand Dollar Sports and they said that they could not pick up at Occidental Grand. I thought all of the "southern" resorts had docks where the DO's would pick you up. Apparently not. So....... which of the "southern" resorts have a dock where the DOs will pick you up?

Rich Hagelin

Rich,
We were in Cozumel last week, went by the Occidental Grand every day while headed to the dive sites. They have a dock. My understanding is they didn't have one when the resort was first built, but one was completed sometime last year. I would check with another dive op, I'm sure someone else would pick you up.

The "agreements" about pick ups by other than onsite/associated dive ops are informal & fluid, but as a general rule resorts do not deny any of the many Coz ops access to their docks for the purpose of boarding divers.

While I cannot say for sure, I rather strongly suspect that because the Grand is so far south Sand Dollar Sports simply does not want to go there for reasons of logistics/cost.

There are lots of choices besides Sand Dollar, and for the above reason (plus several others) I'd suggest that you look around.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Yes, the Grand's dock was added after the resort was finished--last October to be precise, and Dive Palancar next door at the Allegro provides dive services to OG guests.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

richhagelin:
I just con e-mailed with Sand Dollar Sports and they said that they could not pick up at Occidental Grand. I thought all of the "southern" resorts had docks where the DO's would pick you up. Apparently not. So....... which of the "southern" resorts have a dock where the DOs will pick you up?

Rich Hagelin

Most operations will pick you up and drop you off at the Occidental.

Sand Dollar typically has scheduled sites for certain days. I would imagine their scheduling is a reason they will not pick up at Occidental. It doesn't usually create a problem for the first dive, but I believe they usually go further north (Tormentos, Yucab, Chankanaab, Paradise) for the second dive and do not want to back track further south than the Reef Club (where they dock their boats) for drop-offs. Check around, I'm sure you will find an operation willing to pick you up and drop you off. Liek Doc said, your other option is the onsite operator, Dive Palancar. They are safe, professional, and provide conservative resort style diving.

Have fun!

Hhhmm? Title could be miscontrued, I guess, but... I've used Blue Angel and Scuba with Alison (and was quite happy with both), and both picked up at the Occidental Grand and Iberostar. We did have four divers, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom