Boat Launch Rockport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orc301

Reaction score
My friends brother agreed to take us out on a boat dive in the Rockport area, we will be trailering the boat. Can anyone point me to a good boat launch in the Rockport area near a good dive site. We will be diving for bugs.... If anyone has gps coodinates for a good dive site near the launch that would be great. Thanks Steve

orc301:
My friends brother agreed to take us out on a boat dive in the Rockport area, we will be trailering the boat. Can anyone point me to a good boat launch in the Rockport area near a good dive site. We will be diving for bugs.... If anyone has gps coodinates for a good dive site near the launch that would be great. Thanks Steve

About a mile north of town, Old Granite Pier is good, except at dead low tide if the boat needs more than a foot of water or so. Parking is convenient. Fees reasonable.

From there, a mile and a half across Sandy Bay, you'll probably find good bug hunting on the south side of Straitsmouth Island.

The Dry Salvages just a little northeast of Straitsmouth might be a good bet, too.

You could also head north from the launch and check out Halibut Point.

All these areas are rocky and get very little pressure from divers.

Dave C

I think he has an 18' open bow type deal, will that launch work? Thanks for the info

orc301:
I think he has an 18' open bow type deal, will that launch work? Thanks for the info

It'll float easily at that launch, except during the half-hour around low tide. Even then, you'll get it in, but might have to get the launch vehicle's rear tires a bit wet.

Not a worry.

Dave C

dave4868:
About a mile north of town, Old Granite Pier is good, except at dead low tide if the boat needs more than a foot of water or so. Parking is convenient. Fees reasonable. . . . .

Dave C

If I may ask, what is reasonable? My reason for such an inquiry is that about five years ago we were hit with $10 to launch and $15 to park a vehicle with trailer. That was the last time we used that ramp and have since used the state ramp behind the Gloucester High School.

Things may have changed but IMHO $25 was a bit steep to launch a boat 5 years ago.

Dennis

wreckedinri:
If I may ask, what is reasonable? My reason for such an inquiry is that about five years ago we were hit with $10 to launch and $15 to park a vehicle with trailer. That was the last time we used that ramp and have since used the state ramp behind the Gloucester High School.

Things may have changed but IMHO $25 was a bit steep to launch a boat 5 years ago.

Dennis

I believe the total cost at Granite Pier a couple years ago was about $18.

It was free during the week, since they didn't have someone at the booth.

Could have been different when you went or different now. I don't know.

I agree, it seemed steep, but we split it three or four ways and had a great day of three dives each, so it was worth it to us.

Dave C

Dave thanks for the suggestion, I used the boat launch Friday. We got there about 8 got right in, only ten bucks to launch and park. We pulled the boat out about 1130, and it started to get busy. We dove on the south side of Straitsmouth island, got a few kepers.

orc301:
Dave thanks for the suggestion, I used the boat launch Friday. We got there about 8 got right in, only ten bucks to launch and park. We pulled the boat out about 1130, and it started to get busy. We dove on the south side of Straitsmouth island, got a few kepers.

Good to hear! That's a pretty reasonable price.

Sounds like you only did a single dive at Straitsmouth Island. Sea conditions rough?

Worth going back to that location?

Dave C

We did two dives on the south side of the island. Was a little rough. It was much more calm in sandy bay closer to OGB Etc.. Viz was ok,i'd say 12-15 ft. Small boulders on the bottom about 26 ft. bottom temp was 50 or so, pretty decent surg. Saw a lot of small bugs, most all rocks were covered with vegatation. Saw a couple od flounder and a good size ugly fish can't remember the name looked like a spinney grouper.... All and all not bad probably would try another site. We did,'t have a depth finder so it was hard to judge the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom