Boat diving at Buddy Dive, is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you say "they" do you mean Buddy Dive?
No.

Headed to buddy dive this summer and am trying to decide if the boat dives are worth it or if we should just do all shore diving? Do the boats usually go places that can't be reached from shore?
Boat dives are nice for ease of entry and exit, but not really worth it aside from that, excepting getting a day in with East Coast Divers. I’m a bit of a curmudgeon and your preferences may vary but:

1. You will generally dive the same sites shore diving and those you need the boat to get to don’t differ much from those easily reached from shore (again, excepting East Coast Divers)
  2. Boat diving puts you on someone else’s schedule
  3. Sitting on a boat tied to the dock 30 minutes after it was supposed to have left is aggravating
  4. You end up in the water with 20 of your closest strangers. Nice thing about shore diving is the ability to count the trucks. If one site looks crowded, drive to the next one.
Just an opinion. Enjoy your trip

We do some boat dives with Div’Ocean. Fast 27’? outboard, few (2-6) divers, civilized departure time, dive your own dive, very chill.

Boat dives are nice for ease of entry and exit, but not really worth it aside from that, excepting getting a day in with East Coast Divers. I’m a bit of a curmudgeon and your preferences may vary but:

1. You will generally dive the same sites shore diving and those you need the boat to get to don’t differ much from those easily reached from shore (again, excepting East Coast Divers)
  2. Boat diving puts you on someone else’s schedule
  3. Sitting on a boat tied to the dock 30 minutes after it was supposed to have left is aggravating
  4. You end up in the water with 20 of your closest strangers. Nice thing about shore diving is the ability to count the trucks. If one site looks crowded, drive to the next one.
Just an opinion. Enjoy your trip
I disagree with #1. A number of boat-only site are quite different and excellent dives. Kalli's Reef and Bruce Bowker's Rappel and Ebo's Special are 3 examples.
Re #2, I'm ok with that if their schedule is reasonable.
Never had #3 happen.
#4: I don't select boats full of strangers.

I disagree with #1. A number of boat-only site are quite different and excellent dives. Kalli's Reef and Bruce Bowker's Rappel and Ebo's Special are 3 examples.
Re #2, I'm ok with that if their schedule is reasonable.
Never had #3 happen.
#4: I don't select boats full of strangers.
Mileage can vary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom