Boat dive safety line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefraf: exactly the rig, except on one side of the boat only. I agree with RichinNC about the bar though. I was comfortable with just the line. Its flexibility made dealing with boat movement a non-issue. I have sufficient bouyancy control that I can just hang at my depth, but having the line to keep me from drifting was nice, and allowed better relaxation.

I don't know if I'd like a metal bar wiggling around me. The ladder is a sufficient source of danger for one dive!

chuckprice:
reefraf: exactly the rig, except on one side of the boat only. I agree with RichinNC about the bar though. I was comfortable with just the line. Its flexibility made dealing with boat movement a non-issue. I have sufficient bouyancy control that I can just hang at my depth, but having the line to keep me from drifting was nice, and allowed better relaxation.

I don't know if I'd like a metal bar wiggling around me. The ladder is a sufficient source of danger for one dive!
I absolutely agree. The safety line should be just that - a line and not a bar. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Nice drawing. & agree - the only place I've seen this used has been while diving off North Carolina. Specifically with Discovery Diving in Beaufort.

In rough seas we'd make sure we were slightly negatively bouyant when we jumped in. We'd jump in above the line and grab and hold on to quickly wait for our buddy. Worked perfectly except for the one time my slightly too big fin slipped off my foot. Luckily my foot went through the fin pocket and strap and the fin went up my leg! Never forgot my wetsuit vs. drysuit fins on a trip again!

Paula

Would someone please post specific directions as to how to rig a granny line from the anchor line to the stern? I am looking to learn how to make the connections and how and what type of weights to use. Thanks alot.

Tommed

It is basically a very easy set up to make and deploy from any dive boat, even a small private boat should use it.

First get a spool of 1/2" or 3/8" nylon line for making up the descent and granny lines, dont use poly as it floats. Get several stainless steel or brass clips to attach the weights to the lines. Stainless Caribeners work well.

You will also need some lead weights of around 8 to 10 pounds - you can use dive weights - but I made the weights by pouring lead into coffee cans with a stainless bail molded into them.

Make it up like the diagram previously posted or seen here. It will help in attaching the weight at the anchorline if you rig a pendant long enough to attach to the anchor line while the weight is laying on the deck then you just toss it over after attaching. You need one more line the pic doesn't show, from the bow weight back to the deck to keep the weight from sliding too far down the anchor line and to make retrieval easy.

This rig really is the way to go in most any ocean diving conditions if the boat is anchored. Just remember all the lines must come aboard before you drop the boat into gear. It takes just a second to wrap it all around the props...

I just wanted to report that I have been using the Carolina rig on my boat this summer and it works great. The divers can be in constant contact with the boat via the descent line, granny line, anchor line and if necessary reel line. It is a really helpful sustem, was cheap to rig and is easy to deploy. Thanks to all for this great tip.

Tommed

Back
Top Bottom