Boat Dive Incident in Monterey 1/19/13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many computers start counting down a safety stop at a predetermined depth, like 20 feet, and some also start counting down a deep stop at a predetermined depth, like 60 or 50 feet. Many people will feel comfortable omitting or shortening these in the event of an emergency, but some will not.

Many? How about some NDL computers have built in timers. The multi gas trimix computers I have dived have timers on the main screen... You just count off three minutes - they also don't like ascent rates greater than 30'/min. Safety stops are not "mandatory" irrespective of whether the computer has a countdown. Current/tide change may be a good reason to get to the surface without a safety stop.

I dove on the Silver Prince yesterday and heard some brief comments from the divemaster who did the rescue. He didn't say too much about it, but I remembered this thread. Pretty awesome rescue! He said he tore up his wet suit quite a bit getting the woman on board the boat...

Back
Top Bottom