Boat coat for Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougieG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,

I will be diving Palau with Sam's Tours in late June/early July. I understand the boat rides are 45 minutes to the dive sites, and there can be wind and rain. I believe I will want a boat coat to stay warm. My question is, do I need a full waterproof parka that goes down to the knees? Or, will a waterproof hoodie be enough? I am hoping for the hoodie, as the parka can be bulky to pack, but wondering if my legs will legs will get cold with the waterproof hoodie Thanks for the advice!

Dougie G

How about a pair of lightweight rain pants, big enough to go over your wetsuit easily? It seems like the main thing would be keeping the wind off your wet suit to minimize evaporative cooling. I noticed the chill last fall just on the skiff ride back to the Aggressor after some dives. Take along a hat too, one which will still maintain some warmth while wet.

You would probably want a neoprene hooded watersport jacket. Should not need to go down to the knees but you may want it to go below the waist.

Thanks for the replies! How important is it that the jacket contain neoprene? I have been looking at water sport jackets/parkas from TruWest and Surf-fur which seem to get good reviews, but not made of neoprene. Thanks again,

DougieG

None of those. It's a warm weather place. 10 minutes before arriving the site, just start to put on your wetsuit and gears. If it's 2 boat-dive, after the first dive, during surface interval, just take off the top part of your wetsuit, dry your head and chest with a towel and put back on the T-shirt you wore when you get on the boat. After the 2nd dive, take off your wetsuit, dry yourself up with the towel, put back on the T-shirt and short pants, enjoy the boat ride back. You might see some dolphins swimming along with the boat.

The boat has roof over to keep out the light rains or sun light away from you. If a heavy rain or impending heavy rain, the trip would be more likely cancelled. If heavy rain happens on your way back to the port, just keep the wetsuit on to keep yourself warm as there won't be any evaporative cooling in warm, 100% humidity environment.

Average Weather in June in Koror, Palau - Weather Spark

I hear it is common for it to rain in June/July, which can make the boat rides chilly, and a good boat coat much appreciated!

Doesn’t have to be neoprene. I have one made by Sharkskin. Just make sure it will keep you dry and warm.

If you get rain and swell, you can get cold. You should not need the jacket otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom