Boat Charter Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TEG_SAR

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m planning a visit to San Francisco and want to spend a day or two in Monterey hopefully on a boat diving. I’m from Washington state and an avid cold water diver here in the Puget Sound and mostly doing shore diving.

With no California experience I am assuming it’d be easier for me to get a few dives in on a boat charter but I’m not sure which one to choose and would love some recommendations. With everything changing because of Covid I wasn’t sure if the same suggestions on pre-pandemic threads would still apply.

Thanks for any info! Really looking forward to diving in new places.

I dont have a boat charter recommendation - I shore dive.

However, I was wondering why you are assuming it’d be easier to get your dives on a boat. You can just as easily, if not more easily, get shore dives in.

I believe the boats in Monterey dont put a DM in the water. You'd have to have your own buddy arranged, or pay for a DM to accompany you. For a shore dive, you can do the same, just get a dive buddy here or on facebook, or pay a DM to give you a tour. You say you have no CA experience, but you have Puget Sound shore diving experience - Monterey area is similar in terms of viz and cold water (and we dont really have big tidal movement), so I imagine it would be an easy adjustment for you. Maybe dealing with kelp will be the one adjustment.

Just adding shore diving as an alternative. I do believe a couple of boats go out on the weekends, hopefully someone will chime in.

When I did googling the majority of things that popped up were boat dives. That’s why I was asking about boat dives. I’m more than happy to shore dive but I realize that I don’t know the area and I don’t have a buddy so I thought a boat would be easiest.

Do you have a shop you could recommend?

Ive never hired a DM from a shop, but I believe all of them can arrange them.

I generally use Aquarius Dive Shop, just off HWY 1, to rent tanks, and they are great.

However, if Im diving Breakwater / San Carlos Beach (our most common site), its just so convenient to use the shops w/in walking distance - either Cannery Row Scuba, or Monterey Bay Scuba. There is also Bamboo Reef, a few blocks away. Dont have anything bad to say about any of them, but I just rent tanks.

Boats are also an option, but Im not familiar with them.

In Monterey Bay, you have the Beach Hopper II or the Escapade. Charters do not provide DMs, hence you're on your own. The charter might arrange for DM at an addittional cost but you'll have to inquire.

Your easiest option is to rent gear from a dive shop in Monterey and dive at San Carlos Beach along the breakwater wall. You don't have to worry about navigation. The wall has quite a different feel depending on the depth and depending on how far you kick.

Since this is the primary dive site for OW classes, you're likely to find divers there, even during the week.

O.

I believe the boats in Monterey dont put a DM in the water. You'd have to have your own buddy arranged, or pay for a DM to accompany you.
I'm curious. When I had a Channel Islands dive trip via live-aboard by a no longer available dive op., solo diving was okay. The California dive culture wasn't as paternalistic as some places. If the boat moors near an island, it's not that hard to do basic navigation to and long it, and back, without wondering way far off (and navigation is not a strong point with me).

Not everyone cares to dive solo, but is it an option with the local boat charters in that area?

I'm curious. When I had a Channel Islands dive trip via live-aboard by a no longer available dive op., solo diving was okay. The California dive culture wasn't as paternalistic as some places. If the boat moors near an island, it's not that hard to do basic navigation to and long it, and back, without wondering way far off (and navigation is not a strong point with me).

Not everyone cares to dive solo, but is it an option with the local boat charters in that area?

I dont know, maybe some other folks can chime in.

I didnt mention it as an option here, as the OP doesnt have the 100 dives which I believe is needed for solo dive certification.

to the OP, if you want to find a local buddy, this is a good resource facebook Monterey Scuba group

OP will need to inquire with the local charters. I haven't used Beach Hopper and do not know if it allows solo diving. While I a regularly dive from the Escapade, it's through the local GUE club. Hence solo diving is out of the question, even for we who enjoy this style of diving.

I booked a spot with the Magician to dive the oil rig platorms, which lie several miles outside of Long Beach (Southern California). My buddies & I did encounter a solo diver with full redundant gear.

The Escapade does not let just anyone on board. You have to either be in BAUE or be in an advanced open water class from one of the very few shops they will take out. For all intents and purposes the Escapade is a private boat.

Beach hopper and the Double Down are it for charters around here although I did here rumors of others trying to get operational.

Back
Top Bottom