Boat Based Searches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbzep

Contributor
Reaction score
What size anchor/weight is needed to successfully work as a pivot point for deeper boat based searches? How do you rig the weight to allow the comm line free movement?

In reference to boat based searches in deeper water. What I have found at a minimum is to deploy no less than two anchors one off the bow and one off the stern. The anchors are equipped with 10 to 20 feet of heavy chain and sufficient rope for 7 times the water depth plus 100 feet. (500 to 600 feet of anchor line each) You can use a second tender boat to deploy the anchors while holding over the search area by having them navigate out while deploying the anchor line then deploy and set the anchors well out side the search pattern in the direction of search. A jack stay pattern is setup with the boat centered over the pattern the diver may remain tethered without a tangle hazard from the anchoring system. You may continue to move the boat forward or back by alternately slaking the stern line and tighten the bow line or vise versa to move with your diver. I would suggest that you first practice this in shallow water. I have even placed one line on shore and one to a deep anchor when conditions allow. Feel free to call me should you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Bob Kinder

864-444-2524

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom