Blurfix vignetting with alternate filters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if anyone has investigated using/modifying/creating something like what Ikelite does. A URpro filter with a rubber outer ring which slips over the external port. Then again this vignette issue can easily be eliminated in editing. But I understand many GoPro users don't edit their videos.
I just got my BlurFix and installed it. The Ikelite 3" slip-over URPro filter fits perfectly over the BlurFix assembly, which should permit UW addition/removal of a wet color correction filter. The fit of the Ike skirt between the BlurFix and the GoPro on/off button is tight but it's not difficult to work it into place. I haven't tested it in the water yet, but will shortly. There's a substantial encroachment into the corners of the field of view by the filter casing, at 720p/r3 - I didn't check it at a narrow setting. I also may not have ensured the filter was as fully seated as possible - it remains to be seen whether this is a better approach than stacking 55mm threaded filters, regarding the vignetting, for the swappable filter capability. The Ike is available in both orange and magenta, and costs about the same as other filters.

The ability to swap the filter in/out UW is a benefit if you switch to/from lights and natural sunlight on the same dive.

If the filter will be used the entire dive, you might want to consider a drop in filter. They can be very affordable.

I find a lot of the diving I do in Hawaii is shallow enough that the filter is desirable for some portions of the dive, but produces red tinge for others. I agree that filter swapability is not typically such an important consideration. It's also less desirable to have to open the camera or BlurFix port under humid and wet conditions. I've got one of the Ike slip-ons, so I'll take it along and see if it comes in handy.

I just got my BlurFix and installed it. The Ikelite 3" slip-over URPro filter fits perfectly over the BlurFix assembly, which should permit UW addition/removal of a wet color correction filter. The fit of the Ike skirt between the BlurFix and the GoPro on/off button is tight but it's not difficult to work it into place. I haven't tested it in the water yet, but will shortly.

I sure would like to know how this works out for you, I almost ordered one myself. I am leaving for Bonaire soon and a slip on filter would be GREAT.

I find a lot of the diving I do in Hawaii is shallow enough that the filter is desirable for some portions of the dive, but produces red tinge for others. I agree that filter swapability is not typically such an important consideration. It's also less desirable to have to open the camera or BlurFix port under humid and wet conditions. I've got one of the Ike slip-ons, so I'll take it along and see if it comes in handy.

Depending on how severe the red tinge is, if the red covers the entire frame, you probably can fix it in editing. In general, too much red is easier to fix in editing compared to too little red.

If you are using lights, this might become a problem because the red tinge might only be in the portion of the frame the lights are hitting strongest. Color fixes in editing are very difficult if it's only in certain sections. This is why lights and filter are usually not used together.

There was only one drawback we found with the Ikelite filter when we tested it. Vignetting. But that's not the end of the world since it can be edited out in post. This is the main reason we only offer the URPro filters that have been milled down by SRP. Well, that and the quality of glass from URPro.

I agree with ronscuba that lights and color correcting filters should not be used at the same time as a rule of thumb. But remember that video is an art and not a science. Try shooting low light, red filter in blue shallow water as the sun is going down. Neat effect.

leak: New toy coming from SRP. shhhhhh.....

...... lights and color correcting filters should not be used at the same time as a rule of thumb. But remember that video is an art and not a science. Try shooting low light, red filter in blue shallow water as the sun is going down. Neat effect.

Great tip. There are exceptions. I learned that from Anne Crawley's DVD. Late afternoon, red filter with lights can work. Filter adds color to the background. Lights add color to the foreground. Manual white balance to the foreground with lights and filter in place, eliminates the red tinge in the foreground, but the background stays nicely colored.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom