Blurfix Low Profile UV Filters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chuybregts

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got my Blurfix in preparation for a Hawaii trip. One thing I didn't realize was they trimmed (at least it appears to be trimmed) the Zeikos UV filter that the kit comes with.

Does anyone recommend any other brands of UV filters that work at depth but don't need to be trimmed to prevent the vignetting? (I know they have a list of what worked and what didn't on the last page of their instructions, but it mentions nothing about vignetting).

Sorry Ive only used the filters from blrurfix so far, Is there any reason you want another clear filter that's not the one provided?

I have seen around the net a few low profile 55mm filters which should work fine but blurfix sell the UV filter for $10 on its own if you need extras and you wont be getting them much cheaper elsewhere from what I've seen.

Oh, mainly because I didn't see on their site that they custom modified their filters. So, 10 bucks from them verses 5 bucks from other places for the same filter does add up(well $4.78 from amazon). Having said that, I have no idea how often the filter will need to be replaced so it was mainly a "what if" question.

Ive seen some ultra low profile filters but they all sell for way more then $10, here is an example Kenko 55mm UV Filter - PRO 1D Digital - Digital Camera Gear so I guess you can buy the unmodified zeiko for $4.78 plus shipping or spend $10 for the one from blurfix with free shipping to the US or spend the $48.75 for the ultra low profile version may be cheaper elsewhere but that was my first search result.

There's choices out there and if blurfix gets the cheaper one and modifies it themselves then $10 isn't asking too much IMHO, if you want to save those few dollars you can buy the zeiko from amazon and machine it down yourself if your time to do it is worth less to you then the $5 they charge.

Thanks for your input Marty,

I ended up ordering an extra one from Blurfix because as you say, 10 bucks includes free shipping.

I do have a question though, do you tend to use your Blurfix outside of the water? I was doing some test runs with it and it seems like in bright scenarios, there are some wicked interior reflections of the dome lens onto the back side of the filter. This is while testing it in pretty bright sunlight (as I'm sure on a boat, pre-dive would be). GOPR0302.jpg Here's an example (extreme close up, whoa! :wink: )

My scenario concern is this: Predive, on the dive boat, I'm interested in shooting some footage above water of my wife and I staging our gear. I would prefer to setup my camera on land prior to heading out onto the boat for the dive, but, if the reflection is that bad, it seems like the footage might not be worth it...

Has anyone had any issue with interior reflections?

I know it sounds like I'm pretty negative about the Blurfix, the fact is, I'm super happy with it! My underwater tests (sink so far) are great, and I'm looking forward to using a circular polarizing filter on it to do some time lapse footage of the sunsets over the ocean. The installation was simple and the kit feels very professional, I'm purely raising these questions so I can get some great footage of our trip (and I have minimal time to practice before the trip, but enough time to purchase odds and ends if people have better accessories for it). So I appreciate all the feedback (and of course, all of Marty's videos as those are what convinced me the Blurfix was the best solution out there).

Chris

With the reflection your getting there one thing you can do is colour in the screws with a black marker or something similar as the worst reflection is coming from them in that photo.

I think this only happens if you are shooting directly towards the sun, I havent had such reflections come up in my videos yet but I coloured in the screws after noticing my eom housing has black screws and thought it may be an issue.

If you want to ensure you get no reflection on land it could be a good idea to try keep your back to the sun. Its generally a good tip with all photos using the gopro even the stock housing doesnt perform great shhoting towards the sun and it seems much worse in photos then videos. I wont be taking mine off on land to avoid saturating the dessicant balls which would be more of an issue if this happened the housing will fog up as soon as you get In the water.

We will be testing Tiffens low profile CP filter that may not vignett in R1-R3 we have one on order, I'll get back to you with an update. They cost around $115.00 and should be of higher quality. We were impressed with the Zeikos in our first test, but need to find an ultra low profile like the Tiffen. When you do a search for a low pro filter, try strings like wide angle, slim, super slim, and ultra low profile along with the type of filters you want. Keep in mind that this is only recommended for topside use, and I caution the use of any other filters underwater, for UW use please see those that are listed as tested in our instructions (posted on our site, on the last page)
I'll post a few links to the low pro polarizing filter I have found. I can't recommend any until we test them.
Amazon.com: Marumi DHG Circular Polarizer CPL PL (D) 55 55mm Filter Japan: Camera & Photo
Amazon.com: Hoya 55mm DMC PRO1 Digital Multi-Coated CIR-PL Filter. [Camera]: Camera & Phot

Hey Marty,
That's a great Tip about a marker on the screws. I'll definitely be doing that. I did some more test today outside and yeah, as long as there are no bright spots in front, the reflection isn't too bad. I'm glad I'm learning this stuff before the trip! It looks like I'll have time to do one test dive with it (minus the camera to ensure everything is good and sealed) and then it's off to hawaii. This week my goal is to modify a headstrap like you posted a while back, and I'm also trying to source a pistol grip (an old dive light) as another option. This forum is definitely a great resource and hopefully my shots will be good!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom