Bluestone Quarry, NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently had the pleasure of visiting the Bluestone Quarry in North Carolina. It's a pretty nice facility. Something has been bugging me about it though, and I wanted to see if anyone else agrees. It's the management. Apparently, the owner runs the place. Now mind you, he can run it anyway he wants, and I certainly respect that-- but I can also choose not to visit the place again, and share my experience with others.

The owner is a white-haired, grumpy old man that stands around chain-smoking cigarettes, like a nazi making sure no-one steps out of line. One time when I was waiting on my group, I peeked through a doorway into a darkened classroom (just curious). The grumpy old man barked "See anything in there???". I was told by those who know, not to say anything to him, or else he will curse you out and tell you to "get the f____ off of my property!!".

There are unfriendly signs posted literally EVERYWHERE. For example, "NO REDUNDS!", "Don't Touch!!", "Flush the toilet, yes this means YOU!", Don't enter, Do this, don't do that, etc, etc. Nowhere is there posted a "Thank you, come again" sign.

The younger guy that runs the register and fills the tanks is a complete red-neck moron. He can barely operate the register or take a credit card payment. He is totaly oblivious to who is standing at the counter waiting for service. He would much rather be jabber-jawing with the grumpy old man. I could excuse all of that, and wouldn't have even mentioned it were it not for the fact that he CURSES, out loud, in casual conversation, in front of people he doesn't know-- including children. Every other word is "F__K".

I overheard the young guy and grumpy old man once discussing a phone call the young guy had gotten ealier in the day. Apparently, a customer called and was complaining to the young guy about not getting a tank filled in a timely fasion, or some such matter. You could the see the twinkle in the grumpy guy's eyes as he relished discussing plans to call the customer back and straighten him out. I later heard him discussing how he did so. He straightened that customer out "real good".

The front gates to the establishment have iron spikes welded to it. It appears designed to injure someone or damage their vehicle if they get too close.

Anyway, this was my experience with the management. The diving was pretty good though. I won't be back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom