Bluefin Housing and Canon G10: Manual focus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wve

MSDT
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The housing has a button to invoke manual focus, and it seems to put the camera into manual mode.

But is there a way to set the focus once it is inside the housing?

You can preset a focus prior to closing the housing, but if the camera automatically shuts off (another "feature" I don't know how to defeat), the preset is lost.

Any thoughts?

Hi wve,
The AF/MF button is a toggle - one press sets it to manual, the next press to auto. So if you need to refocus, point your camera at the main subject, switch it to auto so it can seek focus, and then switch back to manual once it's where you want it to be. I personally have been very happy with the G10's auto focus, and I rarely lock focus except in extremely close macro situations.

Well, duh! Should have thought of that!

The macro situation is what I have in mind. I have my autofocus set to Center, but sometimes I want the subject nearer an edge in the shot. Your suggestion should do it!

Do you prefer Center focus, or is there another trick I should be using?

I use center focus, too; it's the most reliable. Usually I focus and then reframe my shot; it's rare that I'm using so much magnification that I don't have the leeway in my depth of field to reframe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom