Blue water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinginn

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone been diving at Blue water lately? I was wondering what the water temps are,need to get wet soon,its getting bad.:shocked2:

I haven't been there in a couple years, but based on recent air temps, my guess is low 50s on the surface at the highest.

Conditions at 42039 as of
(6:50 pm CST on 02/06/2011)
0050 GMT on 02/07/2011:
Unit of Measure: Time Zone:
Click on the graph icon in the table below to see a time series plot of the last five days of that observation.

Wind Direction (WDIR): ENE ( 70 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 7.8 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 9.7 kts
Wave Height (WVHT): 2.3 ft
Dominant Wave Period (DPD): 7 sec
Average Period (APD): 4.1 sec
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 30.06 in
Pressure Tendency (PTDY): +0.03 in ( Rising )
Air Temperature (ATMP): 58.3 °F
Water Temperature (WTMP): 64.9 °F
Dew Point (DEWP): 55.0 °F
Combined plot of Wind Speed, Gust, and Air Pressure

I think the Blue Water reffered to was actually the quarry out in Pelham, it'll be cold ontop of damned cold(at best) I bet. At worse, its just damned cold the entire way through...

I think the Blue Water reffered to was actually the quarry out in Pelham, it'll be cold ontop of damned cold(at best) I bet. At worse, its just damned cold the entire way through...

:rofl3:LOL , O well I was thinking Gulf, Blue water

No worries, your version of blue water is better than Pelhams :)

I was there on Saturday (05 Feb). Surface temp was 53F and temp at depth was 46F. Let me also add that it was snowing in Pelham on Saturday! Nothing sticking mind you but between the brief snow shower and the wind chill, it certainly seemed colder... drysuit or not. :)

For the record, until Saturday, I had been one of only two divers using the quarry for the previous three weekends! Where is everybody?! There are lots of drysuit divers in Alabama so what's the deal? At least this past weekend there were 5 divers...

For those who may not yet know, Alabama Blue Water Adventures (ABWA) has been sold to a new owner (Wayde LaPoint) who has renamed the quarry "Dive Alabama" (same name as website, www.divealabama.com). Be sure to stop by and introduce yourself. Wade has big plans for the quarry, including finishing the new building and he may be looking for some volunteers to help with renovations in the near term. I'll be there to help out as often as I can.

Regards,
Ltstanfo

Last edited:
The gulf sounds better,just a longer road trip from here.:D The older I get the more allergic I get to 40 something degree water temps,I just need to talk the wife into moving back down to the gulf coast,I miss it.:(

I so agree with you! Miss being near the water. We're from St. Petersburg, Florida. Living smack dab in the middle of Alabama. What's wrong with that pic? I guess it's a trade off though, as James loves his job.

Awww... come on now. Blue Water is fine... in the summer.... above the 1st thermocline... if all you have is a wetsuit. Now if you have a drysuit (and artic issue undergarments) then you have no excuse not to be diving year round! :)

I should also point out that Blue Water is currently the *ONLY* public dive quarry available for use in our great state. If we don't support this one there will be even less diving in the state.

Regards,
Ltstanfo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom