Blue Steel vs XS Scuba Pro Valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Piecing together a cold water drysuit kit and looking at getting a couple HP100 steel tanks. The ones I'm looking at either have a Blue Steel Pro or XS Scuba Pro valve. Blue steel looks a little cheaper but in the scope of $800 worth of tanks, it's insignificant. Can any with experience with both of these valves give compelling reasons to get one of the other? Don't know if it matters but my regulator is DIN. Thanks in advance!

I definitely favor XS Scuba - fewer turns, larger knob (ease of grasp/turn), and a vindicator knob never hurts.

Seems like ease of use is a theme here but is there any particular functional feature or parts reliability issues I should know about?

I hate blue steel valves. I far prefer XS Scuba. I've owned multiple of both. The XS Scuba are better built and function more smoothly.

Whenever I've bought a tank that has come with blue steel valves, I've replaced the valve within a month or two. YMMV but I really, really do not like the blue steel valves.

Seems like ease of use is a theme here but is there any particular functional feature or parts reliability issues I should know about?

I find the finish and function of the XS Scuba superior. I don't believe parts kits are an issue for either one. They are made of similar if not identical component parts.

Blue steel valves have sharp edges, they are annoying with heavy steel tanks. Functionally that work just fine, but the finish on the XS Thermo valves is superior.

Functionally they are about the same. Ergonomically, I differentiate.

I have a preference for the XS/Thermo valves for bigger heavier tanks; Blue Steel/San-O-Sub on pony (40 cu ft and smaller) bottles.

The BS valves have a shorter handwheel stem and a big honkin flared base. On heavier tanks I find the BS squeezes my fingers more when I carry them and it kinda hurts. Thermo not so much as the wheel stem sticks out maybe a quarter inch further and the base flange sits flatter on the top of the tank neck. More room for fingers. On the pony bottles the shorter wheel stem is a positive since it does not stick out as far from the tank wall as the Thermos do. Also, as the pony bottles are lighter, it doesn't pinch as much.

On big heavy tanks like the 100s, if they came with BS valves free, I'd pull them off (then say "but I had two valves - I HAD to buy a pair of 19s!") and buy the XS/Thermo valves.

OMMOHY

Thermo valves are the gold standard. While XS scuba valves appear identical, they use a static o-ring on the bonnet nut vs the copper crush gasket in the thermos. I prefer the crush washer personally over an o-ring, but your mileage may vary.

Back
Top Bottom