Blue Springs Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dove Blue Springs (Waldron, IN) yesterday with a few buddies. I've never seen the water as high as it is. The majority of the NW parking area is under water as is the gear assembly stand, "cave" and the open shelter. The main dock on that side appears to have broken loose from its mooring and is angled about 30 degrees to the NW from it's normal location. It is still connected on the land side, but it is floating free on the water side. Probably caused by the flooding. We were able to tuck 4 vehicles into the dry area left for parking and that was it. There are two picnic tables that are up on dry ground and available for gear assembly. All other assembly points are currently under water.

I have some pictures on my phone and if I can figure out how to get them onto my computer I'll upload them.

Didn't make it to the central entry area, but I'm pretty sure most of that area is currently under water.

Surface temps are in the low 50s and it is still 41-42 degrees below 15' or so. Visibility was about normal. Maybe 20'.

Here are the photos I took with my camera phone on 4/8/08 of Blue Springs flooding.

Blue Springs 8 Apr 2008 1.jpg
Blue Springs 8 Apr 2008 2.jpg
Blue Springs 8 Apr 2008 3.jpg

Woah! That doesn't look good.
Ber :lilbunny:

wow.. about what? 3' higher than normal? not as bad as i thought but still :O !

wow.. about what? 3' higher than normal? not as bad as i thought but still :O !

I'd say probably 2-3'. I know we've had a TON of rain, but that's alot of extra water. I was quite surprised by how high it was.

Wow, that's kind of a mess. I didn't realize we had that much rain. The quarry water must not drain anywhere very quickly.

I would hate to think of what the other end looks like. I doubt that you could even make it down to the shelters. The last couple of years there has been a small amount of the road to flood out. This year I bet that the road is gone.

I would hate to think of what the other end looks like. I doubt that you could even make it down to the shelters. The last couple of years there has been a small amount of the road to flood out. This year I bet that the road is gone.

I think you're right. None of us ventured down the road to the central entry points, but I'm pretty sure that whole area is currently under water.

Wow. I haven't seen something like this before. Thanks for your photos.
I just hope that no trash bins have been submerged.

As I recall, there are three springs that flow in to the quarry. A recent heavy rain must let springs flow more water into the quarry.

The highest I ever saw was about 1 foot over the road at the first set of docks on the haul road going into the quarry. That was back in 2000 if I recall correctly. The max depth then was around 56 ft which put the water level about 4 ft over the normal depth. How is this level in comparison since it looks like the back beach area?

Here are the photos I took with my camera phone on 4/8/08 of Blue Springs flooding.

View attachment 44609
View attachment 44610
View attachment 44611

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom