Blue Rock Resort in Subic Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vtxkev

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking at taking a trip for my 30th b-day next year and a friend of mine told me they have stayed and dove with Blue Rock Resort many years ago. I see from the website it is still around. What is everyone thoughts on this resort? Are they good to dive with? Is it somewhere I will want to stay for 10 days? Fill me in and many thanks......

We stayed there about 18 months ago, but did not dive. I did have a chance to talk to their Head guy there at the dive shop, and he seemed like a nice guy.

Without going into too much more detail here, I think 10 days at Blue Rock might be a little long, maybe split up your time and if you are into diving there 'many more spots' to visit in the Philippines. If you do go to Blue Rock, be sure to bring a 'replacement liver' there are some 'hard core' drinkers there!!!:shakehead:

i agree 10 days is too long to be diving the Subic wrecks. unless you're really into wrecks and want to dive each several times. for more diving options, you may want to check out anilao and puerto galera.

Who runs the dive-shop there now? when I was in Subic a few month ago the divecenter was closed and for rent.

If you go there for your 30th birthday you might be ok. 5 diving days, 3 hangover days, 2 days to do something else.

Subic develops great and there are now next to diving plenty of things to do.

For your birthday you should consider diving with dolphins and false killer-whale at ocean adventure park. quite a nice day there in general when you go there with company

I usually stay at Arizona. Why ? Nice place, rooms and I get discount :)

cheers

Rhoody

The shop closed and is under new management. Not the same crew at all. The former Blue Rock manager and instructor 'Jun' now works with me here at Subic Scuba College :)

There's 14 great dive sites here in Subic, and many are worth several trips - especially the wrecks like USS New York...which you can't cover in a single dive. Add more repeat trips if you are interested in penetrating the wrecks.

There's also some pretty decent reefs around the outside of the bay - got all the critters you would expect to find here in the Philippines...great viz and good for photos. I've counted 30 species of nudibranch here in the last 2-3 months.

Due to the ease of getting to Subic from Clark or Manila (now the expressway is open - 1.30hrs), it is a great place to stop for some unique diving. If travelling/renting a car, it can easily be combined with a stay in Anilao.

For a genuine 'wreck head' though...10 days is never enough :wink:

For dry-land activities...you have the bars in Barrio Barretto, live music at 'Pier One', the Ocean Adventure park (dolphins, sea lions etc), the JEST (former US military jungle survival center, now open to the public!), lots of jungle/wilderness trekking, Treetop walks and a range of nice beaches in secluded bays.

Subic Bay is quite developed but the wreck diving there is a good experience, and some technical stuff there if you are up to it. The reefs in the mouth of the bay are a long boat ride. There's a lot of bars and hard-core foreigners drinking and indulging otherwise 24/7 going on, its an out-post of Angeles up the expressway, but its good for a few days for diving and checking out.

For natural beauty and nature there are LOTS of other options in phils, what time of the year are you wanting to go? March/April is 'summer' - the dry season but also the holiday season.

The reefs in the mouth of the bay are a long boat ride.

It is a tedious trip from the Barrio Barretto area, especially in a local outrigger boat.

However, by speedboat from the dive centers in the main SBMA area it is less than 10 minutes to the outskirts of the bay (i.e. San Quentin or 'Canyons'). :D

Yes the mouth is a quicky in a speed boat, and I had a dive with stunning vis there late last year, the best I have ever experienced! and also my first enounter with those alien-like Crown of Thorns eek.

There was also the story of the brand spanking new Blue Rock banca thats no more: apparently it was a westerner-designed effort, one who obvioulsy thought the informal methods of the indigeneous bancas need improving or could not be trusted: it was built with rigid structure to the outriggers, which apparently broke off... I think I rode that when it was all shiny and new last April.

Then also once we went to the USS York and the banca rudder fell off whilst we were diving, the captain managed to get us back to home base by dragging the anchor in the water, very impressive. I think I was with your man Jun and his wife?

Yeah, Jun and Lourdes (his wife) were there for years, until recently. Jun works with me at the moment - he's a great guy. Lourdes is convalescing from illness - but hopefully will be back in the water in due course!!!

Thanks Andy please pass my greetings on to him - I am sure he will remember me, Bruce from ZA. And best wishes to his wife. Wasnt there a keen diver daughter as well?

And I will be sure to come dive with you guys next time I am there in Subic. What hotels or lodges can you recommend close to your operation? Blue Rock is nice place, good foods and friendly staff but kinda expensive and personally I am not into all those mirrors in the rooms lol.

Back
Top Bottom