Blue Hole Cave now accessible

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I arrived at the Blue Hole this past Thursday to find the place totally silted out--unbelievably bad visibility. I was told a team had been in there working on the opening of the cave and had truly stirred things up. It settled down over the weekend.

Stella later told me that they had gotten into the cave and had visited several rooms. They took video of their journey, and they left a copy of the video at the visitor center. I have been promised a copy via email. It has not yet arrived.

There is a new grate over the opening, but you can clearly see that if the grate were not there, it would not be hard to get through the opening.

So far no one seems to know what the plans are. You have to think that if they went to all the trouble to open the cave, there must be some sort of plans in the works.

John, do you know who was on that team that made the video?

No--Stella said they were from Denver.

I never got the video.

Someone has since turned the grate into a snorkel type entrance, with a movable grate at the top. It had some sort of marker on it with a few names, but there was someone running a tec class involving reels and arrows on the bottom of blue hole, and it got pretty crowded, so I wandered off. To me it still looks like a rathole to get into the cave.

Back
Top Bottom