Blue Heron Bridge Photo Workshop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tc_rain

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Has anyone taken the Blue Heron Bridge Photo Workshop? Just wondering if people liked the class and learned a lot from it.

I assume you are talking about the one organized by Reef Photo and Video.
I've done it three times, with three different instructors, and a cadre of helpers/assistants.
It is well organized and run, and I learned a lot from each time.
The attendees vary from folks with brand-new point-and-shoots, to people with huge rigs and domes and multiple lights and snoots.
The prior experience runs from nothing to very advanced....not necessarily correlated with the size/quality of the camera they bring!

There are daily lectures and show-your-pix sessions, and daily dives. Lots of 1-on-1 hands-on help is available.

Although the individual instructor makes a difference, they are all good and your time/money is well spent.
It is not expensive: the fee covers instruction, classroom, experienced guides who act as critter-spotters and carry the required dive flag, tanks, and weights. Dives are nominally 2h long, high-tide plus/minus one hour.

I hope to do it again this late summer.

..Although the individual instructor makes a difference, they are all good and your time/money is well spent.....
Gotta Echo @tursiops . I've seen many 100-300 logged divers who always post picts on their vacations. Before the BHB classes their pictures were very "nice".. After they took the class, their pictures jumped from Nice to " WOW, Great shot !!". And not just BHB, but seen similar results come out of Chris Parson and Bonnie Pelnar classes too. Sure it takes time off of work but my friends in a couple of days are jumping up to the next level of Wow! after taking a class..

We dive with several pro photogs in Jupiter to help them bring in the sharks. The rookies are blasting 300-400 shots in a day. The pro's are moving slow and not even looking in their view finders.Their raw settings are a single number away from what they jump off the boat down to the bottom and know it in advance. They are looking at angles and backgrounds and then taking 2-4 shots. They also are staging people, sunlight, bottoms and looking at them first and waiting for the subject to come into frame.

I've learned a ton from them and I'm not even an occasional photog. But I've learned don't bother taking the pict if you are not in the right position. The classes will teach you how to get into the right position and angle. Just my 2 cents opinion and post-processing editing is a whole 'nuther time sucking world I refuse to enter if it stinks out of the camera.

I know this is an older post but it's on topic. I'm thinking about signing up for this workshop, with class dates of 28 Feb - 2 Mar. That's a Thursday - Saturday, not sure if they realized next year is a leap year. Regardless, what are the water conditions like in Feb/Mar? Are we looking at 3mm or 5mm wetsuits? What about visibility? Is there a better time to go? Also thought about taking a trip up to Jupiter Beach and do a shark dive, since we were already in the area. What can we expect to see in Feb/Mar? Really would like to see Snooty, just to say I did.

I know this is an older post but it's on topic. I'm thinking about signing up for this workshop, with class dates of 28 Feb - 2 Mar. That's a Thursday - Saturday, not sure if they realized next year is a leap year. Regardless, what are the water conditions like in Feb/Mar? Are we looking at 3mm or 5mm wetsuits? What about visibility? Is there a better time to go? Also thought about taking a trip up to Jupiter Beach and do a shark dive, since we were already in the area. What can we expect to see in Feb/Mar? Really would like to see Snooty, just to say I did.
Looking at my dive log for Feb and Mar this year, water temps were 76 to 78 degrees at BHB. Going back to previous years, I'm seeing days as low as 72, several dives in the 73-75 range.

I would be prepared for any of the above. Some of my logged dives showed 72 one day and 76 the very next day.

We had an abnormally warm water year this year. I don't know if that's a new trend or an anomaly, only time will tell.

Who are you thinking of taking the class with? I know Pura Vida advertises them on their website. I reached out to them earlier this year for details.

Here's the info provided to me.

The workshops I have set up are geared specifically around each student's camera setups as well as their individual photographic interests whether that be a complete beginner to more advanced looking to learn more such as different lighting techniques or in camera setting techniques, etc. Each workshop has a 2-3 hour classroom session in which we go over photographic settings and techniques along with plenty of other information regarding students' interests. A dive or multiple dives are scheduled as part of the workshop depending on how many dives the student wishes to do with me as their guide, flag holder/SMB deployer, critter pointer, and in water photo guidance.

I put together themed Workshops through Pura Vida Divers each month that go along with their monthly themes but also teach workshops throughout each month that may go along with the theme, be a previous theme, and/or basic photographic skills workshops depending upon what each student books. I max the workshops at 2 photographers/divers to spread my time better with students but it is also based around student's schedules and availability meaning most of the time it is a one-on-one workshop with me.

The pricing is $299 for a 1 dive workshop, rental tank or fill if you have your own and weights included. Or $349 for a 2 dive workshop, tanks/fills and weights included. It just depends on if you want to do one dive with me or two for any extra practice/time with me.

Additionally I asked if they did a LR/PS workshop and the response was:
I can certainly set up a LR workshop. I don't use PS as much but if you are interested, we can set up a LR workshop. That won't include any dives which is $199 for the workshop.

I have not taken them up on the offer, yet. As @Johnoly says, I feel like there's always something I can learn. I've been doing macro photography for over 10 years now, as an amateur. I was fortunate to have a really good dive buddy who taught me many things over the years. I feel like my photographs are very good for an amateur. My thoughts go to, how can I up my game to the next level? I know I have amazing equipment, so I know there's more to learn. I'd like to start submitting photographs to competitions, I think it would be fun. With all that said, I'm tempted to do a workshop. I don't need fills, weights, or a guide. I can navigate BHB in low vis with just a compass, have my own tanks, and fill card with my LDS. This makes me question if the workshop is geared towards my needs or is it geared towards someone less experienced who doesn't know the site or have all the gear.

You can see my pics here: Log into Facebook

@MrChen I have yet to do a workshop, but there's quite a bit of value in getting one on one feedback on your images which workshops help with. I personally feel like your images and critter spotting are beyond the "in water" instruction provided by such a workshop, so its a matter if paying the price for the "dry" instructor attention is worth it. I will say for that price you can get a few hours of virtual one on one mentoring time with practically any globally famous underwater photographer you wish to learn from (provided they have the time). I suggest one on one mentoring to everybody.

@MrChen I have yet to do a workshop, but there's quite a bit of value in getting one on one feedback on your images which workshops help with. I personally feel like your images and critter spotting are beyond the "in water" instruction provided by such a workshop, so its a matter if paying the price for the "dry" instructor attention is worth it. I will say for that price you can get a few hours of virtual one on one mentoring time with practically any globally famous underwater photographer you wish to learn from (provided they have the time). I suggest one on one mentoring to everybody.
I agree. My gut feeling is that the dive portion of it doesn't match my needs, yet I'd be paying for it.

Back
Top Bottom