Blue Grotto Collapse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonny Wishbone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Was just at BG about 2 weeks ago or so. I was at my LDS today and part of shootin the breeze with one of the instructors was about a collapse at BG. I guess all that rain last week took its toll on the ground above. I was told diving limit is 40 ft for now. Was told they were wanting volunteer cave divers to help with debris removal. I tried to find something online about this but nothing came up. Has anyone heard more on this??

There was a collapse at Blue Grotto in Malta. Is the one you are referring to?

Whoa. I was hoping to have a class there.

wow, i was just there about 2 weeks ago too. its my understanding that devils den stopped parking buses in the area behind the hole years ago because they were afraid of collapse. wonder if this incident will change how anything is done at either site..

There was a collapse at Blue Grotto in Malta. Is the one you are referring to?
I think the poster was referring to Blue Grotto in FL.

The FaceBook page indicates that they are closed (to diving) this week, while they work to clear debris from the bottom, and remove / replace damaged platforms. As the OP mentioned, they were apparently open over the weekend, with limitations.

That's disappointing. Other than as a simple body of water that's deep enough to do OW training, blue grotto isn't very interesting above 40'. I hope they're able to reopen the site eventually.

Something was bound to happen sooner or later though. After all, the grotto it-self is a sinkhole.

Was the collapse in the cave or the cavern or both?

Found this on facebook:
March 20:

Unfortunately, we have to close the Grotto for a few days. The heavy rainfall washed in a part of the left side wall and broke the pump system. We are working hard and experts will check the safety of the cavern before reopening. Please share to all friends

March 21:

All the dangerous rocks was removed yesterday evening. The water is clearing up very slowly because of the quantity of lime rock dust. Today we do have to wash down the smaller debris delaying the clear up again. One good news I have, first thing I saw today was Virgil coming up :) keep you posted ...

March 22:

Unfortunate our dive site is not open until further notice. We hope to be ready for diving towards middle of next week. Cabins can be occupied or canceled without any cancellation fee.

After diving the Grotto today, we realized that we do have to clean up the bottom of the Grotto and replace the platform. Depending on how much help we can organize it takes up to a week to be ready again. We would appreciate help from experienced cavern and cave divers.
Please contact me 352-502-3863 to coordinate days and time.

March 23:

Like to give you the latest update:
The open Water area including two platforms 10/30 feet will be open over the Weekend. The overhead environment and Cavern will remain closed until all the debris and the old platforms are removed and replaced. Every Guest diving must sign an additional waiver see below. We are closing again on Monday to start working underwater again. We appreciate every help for underwater and above cleanup during next week, starting Monday. Please just show up if you like to help. For underwater work we prefer divers with cavern or cave diving experience because of the reduced visibility caused by movement of the silt. Thank you all and let's hope we will get this dive site running again until end of net week.
additional temporary Waiver:

Blue Grotto Dive Resort LLC
Additional temporary Waiver

I understand that the overhead environment and Cavern is temporarily closed for Divers.
Hereby I agree to remain in the open Water area and a maximum deep of 35 feet
Date: __________
Name:____________ Signature:____________

I heard it was only in the cavern. The cave is a separate thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom