Blue filters on Inon Z330's - an experiment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divetech Cayman

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just finished a writeup, where I discuss my experiment creating blue filters for my Inon Z300 strobes. The idea was to use a red filter and custom white balance on my camera, and to use the blue filters on my strobes to reduce the red effect. The results were pretty good for a first try.

Read about it, and see the photos here: https://www.divetech.com/post/shooting-with-light-and-filters

Tony

Interesting experiment. I think the biggest problem is reduced strobe output, which is quite neccesary for wide angle to bring back colors. I've seen these filters for video lights as well.

I have a new set being made by a 3rd part with a resin printer. With this I can get a clearer diffuser and a lighter tint of blue. Updates will come as soon as I get them!

Tony

Very interesting. I am following this closely. I will have to come up with an alternate to the lens filter as I am on an RX100 V. Maybe I can get something in the housing so that I can change wet lenses and have the effect in all setups.

edit
upon more thought this may not work well for my setup as the RX100 is not known for custom white balancing well.

Looks great! I'm trying to figure out a way to put yellow filters on my strobes for when I'm doing flurophotography.
I always understood the yellow barrier filters to be for your lense and mask not the strobes. for stobes you would use excitation filters or video lights using the UV spectrum.

The yellow filter goes on the camera port and you can wear a yellow filter on your mask, which I find to be completely useless. I use a Kraken 3500 light for the uv. But, you can't use your strobes when you shoot. I talked with their rep at DEMA and he suggested putting a filter on the strobes. I've only tried it once so far so I need to experiment more with the lighting.

Thanks, looks like it for sure! My older strobe is an Inon D2000 so they have a filter for that. I don't see one for my Z-330. Wonder if I could insert a yellow filter inside the diffuser?

if you called them I bet they could tell you if it would work on the 330. It looks yellow but isn't the standard yellow barrier filter, This one is an absorption filter that only allows UV range through so it mimics the UV led's in your video light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom