Blue angel questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have done this quite a few times. Swim out underwater from Papa Hoggs pier, or Takila. It is only about 30ft in depth for most of the way, so using air out to the wall is not an issue if you have decent air consumption. Go at a relaxed pace across the current. Last two times I did this (about two weeks ago) it took us approximately 12 minutes to reach the wall. Drop down and drift. You will come across a big cable running up the wall and in toward shore. If you turn there and swim back at that same moderate pace you will come to shore around Blue Angel. I prefer to turn at the second cable which is a little harder to see, but it brings you out around Caletita (Tio Jose) where the light house is. Then you can just wander back to Blue Angel, or grab a cab if you don't want to carry gear. Don't go beyond the second cable due to the possibility of coming out in the path of the car ferry. Also, be sure to take a DSMB as there is boat traffic as others have mentioned, and if you need to surface for direction or due to a low on air situation, you will want to send up a marker first. Also, if the current is normal you can easily tell which direction you are going (from your left you are heading to the wall, from your right you are headed to shore), but if it is mild, having a compass can help. 300 degrees out to the wall, and 120 is your reciprocal.

I have done this quite a few times. Swim out underwater from Papa Hoggs pier, or Takila. It is only about 30ft in depth for most of the way, so using air out to the wall is not an issue if you have decent air consumption. Go at a relaxed pace across the current. Last two times I did this (about two weeks ago) it took us approximately 12 minutes to reach the wall. Drop down and drift. You will come across a big cable running up the wall and in toward shore. If you turn there and swim back at that same moderate pace you will come to shore around Blue Angel. I prefer to turn at the second cable which is a little harder to see, but it brings you out around Caletita (Tio Jose) where the light house is. Then you can just wander back to Blue Angel, or grab a cab if you don't want to carry gear. Don't go beyond the second cable due to the possibility of coming out in the path of the car ferry. Also, be sure to take a DSMB as there is boat traffic as others have mentioned, and if you need to surface for direction or due to a low on air situation, you will want to send up a marker first. Also, if the current is normal you can easily tell which direction you are going (from your left you are heading to the wall, from your right you are headed to shore), but if it is mild, having a compass can help. 300 degrees out to the wall, and 120 is your reciprocal.

Thanks Matthew. Great directions. I always take a SMB and my SK7compass with me. I guess I get caught up in exploring the "grasslands" looking for all kinds of stuff so it takes me a bit longer to reach the wall. The cable that you are talking about, is that the one that holds the big buoy out from the BA?

BA is one of my favorite Cozumel shore dives. Lots of lobsters in the cinder blocks scattered along the bottom. Watch out for the fire coral on the fence of the stingray pen.

Thanks Matthew. Great directions. I always take a SMB and my SK7compass with me. I guess I get caught up in exploring the "grasslands" looking for all kinds of stuff so it takes me a bit longer to reach the wall. The cable that you are talking about, is that the one that holds the big buoy out from the BA?
It's a chain, actually, but that's the one; that buoy marks the point where the electrical cable from the lighthouse to the mainland goes over the wall. If the current is significant, though, it may be difficult to swim in to BA from that point; when you get to that buoy you are already a little past BA in normal current. There is a bricked culvert that protects the cable that you can follow at a more easily swum angle in to the lighthouse, which is a shortish walk from BA.

Last edited:
Random question, but why is the sting ray pen there at Blue Angel?

we usually rent a small jeep while we are on the island and we have had Otillio, the maintenance man at Blue Angel drive us down to the Casa del Mar area with our equipment and drop us off and take the car back to the hotel for us, and we've dove back to the hotel from there along the shallows. It is especially quite nice between del Mar and Papa Hogs.

Back
Top Bottom