Blue Angel, Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nursediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just booked a trip in May 2010, but now I keep hearing that the road noise is really bad. Is this true? The dive op gets great reviews every where I look, and I realize the hotel is basic, which is fine for us. Just wondering if I made a mistake-is the noise really a big deal? Thanks!

Just booked a trip in May 2010, but now I keep hearing that the road noise is really bad. Is this true? The dive op gets great reviews every where I look, and I realize the hotel is basic, which is fine for us. Just wondering if I made a mistake-is the noise really a big deal? Thanks!
I've been staying there at least once a year for more than 20 years, and the road noise has never bothered me. It is very close to the street, but it has to be, since it's between the street and the water.

The ground floor (which has 4 rooms) is going to be much quieter. On the the higher floors (2-4) which have 6 rooms each and better views of the sunset, you will hear random road noise from 6am to midnight -- especially if you don't have the A/C on. At other places, I've found poolside bars and nightly stage shows to be just as loud and annoying. The ground level floors were being renovated when I was last there in September, so getting one of those might be an added bonus assuming they're finished.

Kind of an open question and depends on how YOU adjust to certain sounds. I have lived next to state highways before, and it has never bothered me. So my answer is no, it doesnt bother me. The traffic is light in my opinion. My wife puts in some ear plugs every now and then, and it doesnt bother her then either.

If you think you may be sensitive to sounds, bring along some kind of clock-radio or something to play "white noise", or maybe ear plugs.

I have more trouble dealing with the sounds of... no phone ringing!

Hi Nursediver. I just returned from staying at the BA in October. I had the same concerns as you do, before I went. But I must say it was not that bad at all. (I am very sensitive to road noise) After 8pm or so the traffic really died down to a trickle.(not that there was much anyway).
In the am no traffic.
There is noise from the guys who pick up the tanks in the afternoon, the "clanging of the tanks", but this was not a bother and only lasts 20 minutes or so.
I stayed on the 4th floor, corner room, probably where the noise should be the loudest and I never used my AC at night to drown out any noise and I left my sliding door open all night to listen to the ocean sounds, so sweet.
Enjoy you trip, you will really enjoy the BA and her staff.

The road noise is a problem for me-especially the first few nights I am there-and I stay there anyway, if that tells you anything. The pluses outweigh the minuses. I rarely have the AC on because I tend to be there in the cooler months....but when I did have it on, it was helpful.
Bring earplugs, just in case.

Turn on the radio, tune to the end of the dial where all you get is static, turn it down to suit your taste: White noise. Eh, I never had to. I sleep fine there, any floor.

The Hotel Barracuda is in an identical location to BA in relation to the road. They're on the ocean side of the road and right on the street. If anything, there is more traffic by the Cuda because it is in town and across from the two main grocery stores. I've stayed there several times and never heard noise from the road. But plenty of music noise coming from the pool and beach area (I'm weird and like it), so I'm not saying it's a quiet hotel or better than the BA.

The layout of the floors and rooms of the two hotels is very similar. The difference is that the hallways of BA are open to the street, were the Cuda has glass windows. That barrier, as small as it may be, seems to be the difference in noise volume.

I've never stayed at BA, but have eaten a couple of meals there, walked the hallways and looked at a couple of the rooms. Looks to me like a nice place to stay. But adding glass in the hallways seems like a manageable solution to the biggest criticism of a popular and classic hotel.

Just my observations....

Turn on the radio, tune to the end of the dial where all you get is static, turn it down to suit your taste: White noise.

Clever solution for a noisey night's sleep. Thanks.

We've stayed there a few times and I would agree with those who said the traffic noise is very light at night. The only noise that has ever bothered us is the clanging of the tanks when they get delivered in the morning just a bit before we'd otherwise wake up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom