Blue and mako shark charter San Diego!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi scubaboard members,

My husband and I are looking for 4 divers to fill a charter boat out of La Jolla on Saturday, April 18. We are chartering with Waterhorse Charters. The cost would be $320 per person. It would be a full day trip to snorkel with blue and mako sharks (or whatever sharks decide to show up). The trip is for 6 people maximum so it will be a small group!

Hope you can join us!

Can we bring tanks or is it strictly snorkling?

Thank you for the update. I've been around enough Makos that I can think of zero circumstances where I would intentionally snorkle with them. Too big, too fast, too predatory and too unpredictable. But that's just me. I know of many folks who have done so successfully but I am too risk adverse. It's probably no safer on scuba but they have always diverted course when I blow bubbles. My 2psi. I'm sure others will disagree with me. :)

I thought blues weren't particularly trustworthy either. I'm all for seeing such amazing creatures but would be concerned about snorkeling with them. Good luck in your quest.

I thought blues weren't particularly trustworthy either. I'm all for seeing such amazing creatures but would be concerned about snorkeling with them. Good luck in your quest.

All the sightings of blue's I've seen diving So. Cal. have been fleeting UNLESS they are being fed. My wife refers to them as puppy-dog sharks as they tend to rub up against you. The only time I've seen aggressive behavior (actually more curious than aggressive) is on one shark feed back in the early 1980's off Avalon, Catalina Is.

I was staying in Avalon at the late Jon Hardy's house and he had a dive boat (the "Argo") and a shark cage. We went offshore, left a chum trail, dropped the cage, and chummed some more. After a few minutes we left the cage to swim with the Blues. Lots of fun. He had a couple of paying customers on board and they too swam (on scuba) with the Blues cageless. At the end of the dive one lady was hanging off the swim step when a medium-sized Blue swam up and literally bit her on her ass. It was more a test-teething, no broken skin, but she screamed nonetheless. I was below her and caught the bite on video. You could hear her scream on the tape. We all thought it great fun, her not so much. :) I love it how certain posts bring back vivid memories like it was yesterday.

cc @Sam Miller III

I spent two days snorkeling with blue sharks off of Rhode Island. The sharks got very close. You need to keep space between you and them, which I did with my DSLR camera rig. A shark would bump my rig every few minutes, and one shark bit my dome port (scratched it up very nicely)! I never felt in danger or anything like that, but at the end of the day, these are wild animals and you need to pay attention to where they are. I've been around other large animals before, above and below the water, so I was comfortable - but this is not the same as, say, snorkeling with manatees.

Back
Top Bottom