Blowing off Steam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EvaFin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Alright, gonna put the obligatory 'not most men' here but is anyone else really sick of being called a 'lady diver' instead of a diver? Or people assuming that you need help even when you've got about 200 more dives under your belt then the fella trying to help you/feel you up in your suit.

I'm just really tired of it and wanted to ask if other women find it frustrating too. I was shore diving and fell over because of a loose stone and a strong wave and a guy started going on about how I couldn't take the weight because of being a woman and I wanted to sock him. Not the greatest impulse, and most guys couldn't be more helpful or gender neutral, but I can't stand it. It made me so pissed off.

Maybe I'll get it in the neck for using this board as a place to complain, and I know it's not why we're all here but, I don't know, I just wondered if other people have these experiences. It's humiliating.

Next time, look at the guy and get his attention and tell him "muzzle it". Makes me sick.

FYI: I am a male.

There's been at least one extensive thread on this subject. Perhaps you'd like to review the Women's Perspectives subforum and find your answers. IIRC, it was a very interesting conversation.

If you don’t like what a guy is saying to you or offers of help, if he doesn’t like your no, just tell him to eff off.

That seems a bit unreasonable to me. There's no need to cause a scene or make an enemy. Just smile and say firmly, thanks so much but I prefer to handle my own gear.

That seems a bit unreasonable to me. There's no need to cause a scene or make an enemy. Just smile and say firmly, thanks so much but I prefer to handle my own gear.

Some guys don’t know how to take a polite and firm no for an answer. That’s when you have to get nasty. Some only understand nasty.

Telling a woman “not to make a scene or not make an enemy” is just what some of the young women I encounter do NOT need. They need the opposite. They’re too afraid of hurting someone’s feelings that it’s gotten them in trouble.

Yesterday I finished a couple dives and back at the dock we were hauling the boat in. A woman was walking by and we made eye contact, nothing sexual. I waved and said hi. She flicked me off.

You just gotta laugh and move on.

sounds like she did.

Are you a pretty young woman woman? If so, it’s just a fact of life! I’m an older chick (49) and I still get offers of help. If anyone offers to schlep my heavy tanks, they are welcome to!
I haven't ever been called "lady" diver. And I'm with you ... any time someone wants to carry my tanks or gear is a good time :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom