Bloody heels. Need suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craracer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in need of some advice/suggestions. My problem is that, by the end of a week of diving, I develop several areas of open sores on both of my heels. To be more precise, the medial and lateral areas around my achellies tendons. Despite my diligent preventative measures, they eventually become infected.

I use open heel fins with 5mm booties, and typically do 25 or more dives/week when doing warm/salt water trips.

I've tried the following things, without success:

~Duct tape on heels.
~Nu Skin on heels.
~Nu Skin and duct tape together (has worked the best, but not for long).
~Gluing in large pieces of neoprene into the heel area my booties to add padding.
~Buying new booties (different brand with high and thick heel).
~Changing to spring straps.
~Tried loose and tight heel straps.
~Tried using the thin "dive socks" under my booties.

:(I'm out of ideas:depressed:

Try changing fins? If a shop rents open heels, give them a go. Try find a 2nd hand pair on ebay or borrow a pair?

Sounds like the only thing you haven't tried

+1 for changing fins. Specifically you need to vary the depth and width of your foot pocket as the problem is not with the heel area itself. If it was, your previous interventions would have helped somewhat. Its likely a fit issue with the entire architecture of your foot within the foot pocket and the pressure is being forced towards your heel.

I would also suggest trying to allow your feet to dry as much as possible between dives. Now I know that between two morning boat dives that may be tough but otherwise do not keep your wet dive booties on. Take em off and allow the skin to dry. Also make sure the boots are well rinsed daily. Get rid of any salt that may accumulate. Finally lycra socks may help as well. Wet neoprene can be like fine sandpaper on water logged skin.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the suggestions gents. I had considered changing fins, but none of the heel box extends to the areas of my feet where I'm being injured (If that makes sense)? I will rent a pair for my next outing though. Couldn't hurt to try.

I do soak my booties at the end of a dive day, but I don't remove them between every dive. I haven't done so because the duct tape is in place. I'll give it a try though!

I've used the lycra socks without success.

I noticed that all of the DMT's at Coco View had the same problem as I, and each had a different brand of fin. Having said that, I've never seen a DM with heel problems. I'm not sure what to make of that.

I think that Jim's point is that if you are using a fin that does not fit correctely it will cause the heel straps to move and rub. The foot pocket of the fin should be snug at the arch of the foot and not sloppy. I secong the lycra or polypropolene socks.

For teh infections, Lysol your boots daily. Apply Neosporen to any open blisters and keep them covered with Neosporen when you are not in the water. You are probably getting infacted because you feet are subjected to warm, wet and bateria laden conditions.

Also consider rinsing your feet once a week with vinigar. Helps kill the bacteria that grows on them in wet environments.

Not only that but the simple fact that wet skin is soft skin and easy to abrade and cut. I run a water jet cutting laminated sheets of metal. Think 2 ft by 4 ft razor blades up to a 1/4 inch thick made up of sheets .002-.003 inches thick. My hands could be wet all day long but I won't let them. Wet skin cuts easy and if it's waterlogged enough you don't even know it until you look down and see blood. And then as it dries it starts to burn. I go thru as many as a dozen shop towels a day drying my hands and whenever possible wear gloves. Dry skin is much tougher and resistant to cut. Not dehydrated dry but not wrinkly and prune-like. I need to let my feet air dry as much as possible between dives or I feel it at the end of the day when skin starts to come off and I think no big deal until they really start to dry and split and crack and bleed.

Full-foot fins? They don't come up as high so likely wouldn't rub you in the same spot.

i have a similar problem with my heels cracking and spliting. I always take my boots of between dives and try and slip them half inside out, the second thing i do is had medicated cream to stick on them as soon as there done diving, and the last thing i do is try and wear sandles or bare feet after giving lots of air on skin time. I still have problems but not as many! not sure if any of that helps

Try fullfoot fins.. or alternate types of fins and boots and defintely, take the boots off, shower and wash with some soap if possible between dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom