Blood in spit after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hailey_L

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all!

On 23rd January, I was taken down to 20 metres by a down current when my group was ascending for the safety stop.

We were somewhere around 8 metres and in few seconds, I was at 20 metres.

Had a severe migraine and pain in left ear when I was being taken down then somehow I managed to equalize and came up to the surface without safety stop.

The bottom time was 51 minutes, maximum depth(until I was hit by the down current) was 13metres--we stayed at one place during whole diving with a hook.

There was some blood in my spit after that happened, for about 10-15 minutes, whenever I spitted it out.

Cancelled diving on that day, in case, had 100% Oxygen for about 40 minutes right after the incident and didn't dive on the following day as well.

After 48H of resting, no pain or any problems/symptoms were observed, so I dived on 25th(max 22metres/55mins), then same thing happened--blood in spit--.

Later, I found out there was blood inside of my nose as well, little bit of dry blood on skin.

I was in a remote area where no hospitals are. I directly cancelled whole trip, booked a flight ticket and now flying to see an ENT.

But just want to ask you pros' opinion:

Should I worry about decompression sickness as well, even there is no symptoms have been observed?

I am in Indonesia and flying to Bali now. Any hospitals/doctors you would recommend?

Many thanks in advance!

Hello all!

On 23rd January, I was taken down to 20 metres by a down current when my group was ascending for the safety stop.

Had a severe migraine and pain in left ear when I was being taken down then somehow I managed to equalize and came up to the surface without safety stop.

The bottom time was 51 minutes, maximum depth(until I was hit by the down current) was 13metres--we stayed at one place during whole diving with a hook.

There was some blood in my spit after that happened, for about 10-15 minutes, whenever I spitted it out.

Cancelled diving on that day, in case, had 100% Oxygen for about 40 minutes right after the incident and didn't dive on the following day as well.

After 48H of resting, no pain or any problems/symtoms were observed, so I dived on 25th(max 22metres/55mins), then same thing happened--blood in spit--.

Later, I found out there was blood inside of my nose as well, little bit of dry blood on skin.

I was in a remote area where no hospitals are. I directly cancelled whole trip, booked a flight ticket and now flying to see an ENT.

Should I worry about decompression sickness as well, even there is no symtoms have been observed?

I am in Indonesia and flying to Bali now. Any hospitals/doctors you would recommend?

Many thanks in advance!

Warning: I am not a MD.
What you described are not the symptoms of "the bends", or decompression sickness.
They look more as the effect of a barothrauma, due to rapid ascend (or perhaps descend).
It is to be established where the barothrauma occurred. But the lungs are the first suspect, hence you need to go through complete medical examination.
If you are lucky, it will result a mid-ear barothrauma, or a sine barothrauma, which of course are not so dangerous.
In any case, you made the correct decision to suspend diving immediately and search for medical advice.
I warmly suggest that you contact DAN for better suggestions. They will suggest you the proper clinic in Bali.

More likely sinus squeeze (note the "migraine") leading to blood in the sinuses and hence into mouth. Also the ear problem. Simple answer, do not descend if you have pain.

Warning: I am not a MD.
What you described are not the symptoms of "the bends", or decompression sickness.
They look more as the effect of a barothrauma, due to rapid ascend (or perhaps descend).
It is to be established where the barothrauma occurred. But the lungs are the first suspect, hence you need to go through complete medical examination.
If you are lucky, it will result a mid-ear barothrauma, or a sine barothrauma, which of course are not so dangerous.
In any case, you made the correct decision to suspend diving immediately and search for medical advice.
I warmly suggest that you contact DAN for better suggestions. They will suggest you the proper clinic in Bali.
Thanks for your advice. I will check DAN as you recommended.

More likely sinus squeeze (note the "migraine") leading to blood in the sinuses and hence into mouth. Also the ear problem. Simple answer, do not descend if you have pain.
You are absolutely right.
On 25th, didn't feel pain before/during diving, equalizing was normal and nothing seemed wrong(felt little bit dry mouth/throat) but then there was blood in spit after diving.

On 25th, didn't feel pain before/during diving, equalizing was normal and nothing seemed wrong(felt little bit dry mouth/throat) but then there was blood in spit after diving.

How many lifetime dives do you have Hailey?

If the sinuses were full of old blood, diving makes it to come out from the cavities (which is good).
The real question is: do you manage to understand if the blood is coming down your throat from above, or are you expectorating blood from the trachea when coughing?

Hello all!

After 48H of resting, no pain or any problems/symtoms were observed, so I dived on 25th(max 22metres/55mins), then same thing happened--blood in spit--.

Should I worry about decompression sickness as well, even there is no symtoms have been observed?

Many thanks in advance!

Concur with the other posters who said that this sounds like sinus and middle ear barotrauma. It can take a while for the inflammation in the sinuses and Eustachian tubes to subside, so I would recommend staying away from diving for several weeks. A visit to an ENT is a good idea.

From your description, your symptoms are not consistent with pulmonary (lung) barotrauma or decompression sickness.

Best regards,
DDM

If the sinuses were full of old blood, diving makes it to come out from the cavities (which is good).
The real question is: do you manage to understand if the blood is coming down your throat from above, or are you expectorating blood from the trachea when coughing?
Not sure... the bleeding didn't last long. I didn't caugh at all after dive though. Going to see ENT later today. Wish me luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom