Blobtop topedo bottle!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick L

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi I dove gosport harbor at the isles of shoals.
I used my scooter and covered lots of ground :)
There is lots of old and sad to say new trash in the harbor.
vis was about 25 feet in deep water and down to about 10 in shallows.
depths 25feet to 70feet.
Here are some pics!
What do you people think of the bottle?
nice diving here but lots of boat traffic.
Rick L

Thanks!!
When I found it the torpedo end was stuck in the silt. The bottle was standing straight up!!
Thats why the bottom is clean and the top encrusted.
Rick L

Hi!
No its not check my photo gallery.
I found the plates and tea cup near the isles!
And the Ingot too thought it was silver but think its lead :-(
Rick L

Rick L:
Thanks!!
When I found it the torpedo end was stuck in the silt. The bottle was standing straight up!!
Thats why the bottom is clean and the top encrusted.
Rick L

It went straight to the bottom like a torpedo and stuck! These bottles held carbonated water and beverages. Their shape was such to hold high pressures. Ships would frequently ballast with these heavy bottles/carbonated liquids and sell them when they got to port. GREAT find!! And great china in your album. Beautiful shoreline, too.

WD

Thanks!!
I love history and think wow over a hundred years ago somebody threw these overboard! I think thats pretty cool.
Rick L

That ingot looks a lot like an anti-friction bar, sometimes refered to as magnolia (spelling) bars because they were often stamped with the name "magnolia". There is a wreck off of Atlantic City NJ called Magnolia because of these bars. Hard to tell from a picture, and it has been 12 years since I dove New Jersey. Great find on the ballast bottle.
Matthew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom