Blenny from Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Magnus.s

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Another image where I have spent quite some time to figure out what species it is...

The eyebrows tells me that it's a Blenny, but then I', stuck.... The photo is from Similan, Thailand in February this year.

Any input is welcome....

Thanks,
// Magnus;

Attachments

• P2290075_small.jpg
    P2290075_small.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 66
Certainly it is a blenny but then the difficulty starts! Very much like gobies they can vary by location. I vote for Lubbock's Blenny - Ecsenius lubbocki. Some pics I have seen show some white dashes on the side of this speces, others do not. I think very little is known about it and there is little info available. Fishbase says it is only known from the Eastern Indian Ocean so you are spot on with the location.
There is a very similar species - the Australian Blenny - but the area round the eyes is much darker and it is only known from further south

Ecsenius lubbocki a very anonymous little fish, a quick search gave me an handful pictures, but I think You are on to something :)

Thanks!

// Magnus;

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom