Blade fin with negative buoy for floaty feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darojati

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello!

I’m looking for blade fins with negative buoy for my floaty feet. I currently use apollo bio fins (split fin, negative), and i’m now looking for blades. And i wear wetsuit boot size 36. I always dive in warm water.

I’ve been recommended for Scubapro jet fin, Scubapro jet fin revo, Apeks RK3, Dive rite XT and also Aquatec jet.

Can anyone vouch what’s your recommended blade fin, negative, for small feet (size 36 boots)?? How do you like your jetfins? Or is there any other fins comparable to jets in terms of power and negativity? And what size should i wear for those fins? Have been getting mixed info on sizing. Will likely purchase online if i can’t get them from local store.

Welcome for any inputs. Thanks!

Hello!

I’m looking for blade fins with negative buoy for my floaty feet. I currently use apollo bio fins (split fin, negative), and i’m now looking for blades. And i wear wetsuit boot size 36. I always dive in warm water.

I’ve been recommended for Scubapro jet fin, Scubapro jet fin revo, Apeks RK3, Dive rite XT and also Aquatec jet.

Can anyone vouch what’s your recommended blade fin, negative, for small feet (size 36 boots)?? How do you like your jetfins? Or is there any other fins comparable to jets in terms of power and negativity? And what size should i wear for those fins? Have been getting mixed info on sizing. Will likely purchase online if i can’t get them from local store.

Welcome for any inputs. Thanks!
If your are looking at the Apeks RK3, make sure you look at the "HD" models. The standard RK3 fins are not negatively buoyant. I use Scubapro Jet fins when I need a heavier fin.

The foot pockets on the Hollis F1s are much nicer than the Jets but it looks like your feet are too small for them. The F1 LTs come in size small and are still somewhat negative. The Dive Rites are pretty neutral, but have a nice foot pocket too. What exactly is your "floaty feet" problem, though, and should you be looking at a change in posture, technique, or weight distribution instead of heavy fins? Most people use them to trim out properly in head-heavy doubles or with dry suits. Moving to any stiffer bladed fin will make it easier to position yourself in the water than with floppy splits, so you'll be better off in that respect whichever you choose.

Dive Rite XT fins are only about 0.7# negative in fresh water (for a pair of size Large).

Hollis F1 LT fins (size Regular) are 1.0# negative.

Hollis F1 fins (size XL) are 2.0# negative.

That is all "if I recall correctly." I have weighed them and posted my results before.

I don't think the DR XT fins are what you want. They are not very negative. The LTs are only a little more negative, but the difference is noticeable.

Either of the Hollis could be just right, depending on exactly how negative you need. I have both (for diving different configs), and they are nice fins. Very comfortable foot pocket. Good power. Work well for all technical kicks.

If your feet are small, fins will be smallish, and the amount of neg buoyancy with that negative fin will be smallish as well. I think med jets with 3mm boots will float. You should find some actual fins to try on with the boots you’re going to wear. I’m a mens 10.5, and large jets with 2mm socks fit good, 5mm boots need an XL. You and wetsuit boots, I don’t know.

Hollis F1's are heavy. I use 2XL and managed to drop a couple of kilos when I switched from RK3's. Plenty of power in them, but they will work your leg muscles.

Just be careful not to drop one. Not only will it sink like a stone, but it'll probably stun any diver below.

Just be careful not to drop one. Not only will it sink like a stone, but it'll probably stun any diver below.

Great fins, but @Graeme Fraser isn't wrong. I nearly lost one and watched another diver lose one.

@stuartv, thanks for the info. I was wondering about the Hollis F1 LTs, they just might fit the bill for some of my configurations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom