Blacktip Travel questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trimixdivin

Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a Blacktip Travel for ocean diving and have been reading a bunch about the back being heavy and the nose floating up. Anyone have thoughts or is the tech a better option?

if you want it to be small and easy to travel with, then sure, get the travel..but yes, it will not be in trim any way.. otherwise, the tech is great, both are neutral, but this is easy to trim flat

Thinking about getting a Blacktip Travel for ocean diving and have been reading a bunch about the back being heavy and the nose floating up. Anyone have thoughts or is the tech a better option?

Are you looking at beach diving, or just boat diving? The Travel is 5 lbs lighter. I've observed there are two types of Blacktip divers, the ones with the Travel tube who just dive with it and don't care about it's static trim (it trims out fine when underway), and those who can't deal with it not trimming horizontal and get the Tech tube to have it trim out (or just Tech sounds better). You can make either one neutrally buoyant. If you're diving deeper than 100m, definitely get the Tech version

Are you looking at beach diving, or just boat diving? The Travel is 5 lbs lighter. I've observed there are two types of Blacktip divers, the ones with the Travel tube who just dive with it and don't care about it's static trim (it trims out fine when underway), and those who can't deal with it not trimming horizontal and get the Tech tube to have it trim out (or just Tech sounds better). You can make either one neutrally buoyant. If you're diving deeper than 100m, definitely get the Tech version

@Trimixdivin

I’m the first type @geoff w describes.

I toss my BlackTip Travel back between my legs and forget about it. It stays out of the way for frog-kicking and I only feel a slight bit of drag compared to finning without. Conversely, if inside a wreck I can just grab the shroud like a steering wheel, the Travel stays in trim without any effort and I can fin my way around with the Travel at the ready for take off.

I imagine if I become a caver, I’ll value trim a lot more.

But for open ocean, the Travel is hard to beat. It packs up nicely in a handy travel case (Nanuk 960 or other), stays under the standard airline weight limit and with 12Ah batteries gives you the range to really explore. Since it appears from your screen name you’re trimix qualified, you’ll be satisfied with the BT’s reduction to your consumption alongside the hundreds of meters more in terrain that you’ll cover. What seems like an endless coral wall becomes a pleasant stroll to see twice the sealife. Plus the safety factor of a DPV is re-assuring (although never to be taken for granted).

I've had the Travel since before there was anything but the one model. For the first 3 or 4 dives, the nose-up trim was annoying. Then, after a few more dives, I realized that it is really a non-issue (for me, anyway). At least, for open ocean. If I'm driving my scooter through the inside of a wreck, then I would prefer it to stay in trim when I stop. But, outside of a wreck, the Travel is fine (to me) and the short length and light weight are really nice.

@Trimixdivin

I’m the first type @geoff w describes.

I toss my BlackTip Travel back between my legs and forget about it. It stays out of the way for frog-kicking and I only feel a slight bit of drag compared to finning without. Conversely, if inside a wreck I can just grab the shroud like a steering wheel, the Travel stays in trim without any effort and I can fin my way around with the Travel at the ready for take off.

I imagine if I become a caver, I’ll value trim a lot more.

But for open ocean, the Travel is hard to beat. It packs up nicely in a handy travel case (Nanuk 960 or other), stays under the standard airline weight limit and with 12Ah batteries gives you the range to really explore. Since it appears from your screen name you’re trimix qualified, you’ll be satisfied with the BT’s reduction to your consumption alongside the hundreds of meters more in terrain that you’ll cover. What seems like an endless coral wall becomes a pleasant stroll to see twice the sealife. Plus the safety factor of a DPV is re-assuring (although never to be taken for granted).
Do you place it on a butt d-ring? Any pics?

Do you place it on a butt d-ring? Any pics?

No, I just leave it attached to my crotch D-ring. The BT orients nose high so there’s plenty of slack since the towline is connected to the shroud.

Don’t think I have any pics.

Back
Top Bottom