Blacktip Travel Case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

insomniac

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got a Dive Xtra's Blacktip DPV a few days ago and plan to travel with it soon. A few others have posted their travel cases using the Nanuk 960, but I choose to go with a Pelican Air 1637 case instead. The Nanuk 960 only uses 60" of the 62" airline allowance for checked luggage (and weighs 5 pounds more). The Pelican uses the full 62" and believe it or not, those extra 2" really help everything fit better imo. Also, Pelican only provides 3 (larger) layers of pluckable foam which I think works out better/easier than the 4 layers the Nanuk uses. That said, it's a bit stressful plucking everything out but I think it turned out pretty good. The Pelican Air retails for a lot more, but I was able to get a holiday deal 30% off.

This setup weighs 38 pounds and uses the travel sized tube.

rS3ojGbkKMBxZ_C2tnj0ga1giAV81jtWf8nWskc2eLEqSdM_hRClyKBwCue7mWII1YsAWw=w2328-h1746-no?authuser=0.jpg

sugZ8CI0Bs00N2B0qgYlBYGkQzYBnH_UIlsxAxSeOUrk9P2FGwXbUUe_rHl0woOsmq_BYA=w2330-h1746-no?authuser=0.jpg

n_IprpPYaGoJtc9dCn4nMfv7_P_v3xr0LrHofjtW7q_prvbeepYFTq3NuoK4s7Ull132Ww=w2328-h1746-no?authuser=0.jpg

(The small black piece of foam is from here: 12" x 18" Foam Sheet by Creatology™)

MVB4cqRziI1zt-WHSjU2ELIqfIlMOyMlg6P3l2Zu2sJ6GmytpcknfW26jf6DmijVRuDBww=w2328-h1746-no?authuser=0.jpg

MVrzLeBOO5XYArrGuix3H46ZA-89J32mdBA78tP4uUJnOoQftuizNqDnKKwjhoWS_QCzYA=w2328-h1746-no?authuser=0.jpg

HYxK9lSN2xIqOVP-prA6Q5ETV4HoRDYqYDcDV3-NE285hh1IWHTckEtW58jnxtuNHLte6Q=w2328-h1746-no?authuser=0.jpg

For reference here's two other posts that show a Nanuk 960 travel case setup for this DPV:
Reference 1: New DPV - Dive Xtras
Reference 2: New DPV - Dive Xtras

Wow. that's quite impressive. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I didn't see you say it, but I am guessing that is the travel tube?
What's total packed weight?

You guessed right, it's the travel tube. With everything you see in the pictures it only weighs 38 pounds!

PS: I updated my original post to reflect this info!

I use wetsuits to pack and cushion the scooter parts. I use an entire checked bag for just my scooter. I packed yesterday and in my 960 I packed the scooter, two 5 mil wetsuits, two hoods and some christmas presents. The only risk and it could be significant is if TSA unpacks it and then repacks it in a way that stresses my handle. Fingers crossed.

I have plucked foam envy...yours is nicer than mine.

You have me thinking. The tech tube is a little longer, I see foam to spare. And the nose cone can come off and get placed somewhere else. And it is light enough to handle the extra 5 Lbs and still fly.

Might need to do my own shopping since I was on the naughty list this year.

You have me thinking. The tech tube is a little longer, I see foam to spare. And the nose cone can come off and get placed somewhere else. And it is light enough to handle the extra 5 Lbs and still fly.

Might need to do my own shopping since I was on the naughty list this year.

The inside of the case is bigger than the website says it is, about 18" the short way. I don't know the dimensions of the tech tube, but I think it's around 17" without the cap on (which would give you about 1/2" of semi-crushed foam on either end). And yes, there is plenty of room for the cap in the upper right corner or bottom right corner of my configuration.

has anyone used thing setup with t-handle and all other accessories. l plan on installing a t-handle with compass to my blacktip travel and would to stay airline travel compliant. storing the complete dpv, chargers and batteries, i know i can't fly with batteries on my checked bag so yes i will put those in my carry-on but i will be using the case for general storage and and local transportation.

has anyone used thing setup with t-handle and all other accessories. l plan on installing a t-handle with compass to my blacktip travel and would to stay airline travel compliant. storing the complete dpv, chargers and batteries, i know i can't fly with batteries on my checked bag so yes i will put those in my carry-on but i will be using the case for general storage and and local transportation.
I can tell you that it does not work with my setup above, but I just removed the handle prior to traveling and placed inside the travel tube, and then when I arrived I re-attached. It's a bit of a pain (especially because it tedious to attach). But it wasn't that big of a deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom