Blacktip handle protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wibble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Managed to catch the Blacktip handle on the boat lift as I jumped off the boat. Gravity won, handle lost overboard.

Wondered if anyone's put something on the outside of the handle to stop things catching in it when diving? Was pondering putting on a piece of string down to the cowl, but wondered what others have done...

Also, does anyone attach a boltsnap on to the cowl such that the scooter can be clipped off when not in use, for example inside a wreck?

Original handle? T-handle? If the original is it of the first batch where there was epoxy issues involving the PVC coming unglued? I'm not aware of anybody putting a protector on the end of the handle but I suppose it could be done. My original handle broke so it got modified and reinforced.

As for the bolt snap, why not just leave the tow cord clipped to the scooter ring on the crotch strap and clip the nose to a shoulder strap D-ring when not in use? Or clip the nose boltsnap to a butt plate and clip the tow cord to the nose somewhere?

It’s the stock handle.

With the nose clipped to the chest D-ring, the bottom of the scooter's free to move around, especially if there’s a cross current.

Just wondered if there was a ‘standard' way of clipping off the cowl.

Also, does anyone attach a boltsnap on to the cowl such that the scooter can be clipped off when not in use, for example inside a wreck?

I put one of these at 3 and 9 o'clock positions on my BT shroud.

Then I tied a loop of paracord through each.

Now I can use a double-ender to clip off the shroud to (for example) my waist D-ring.

With a Travel tube, I think this is pretty handy for some situations, as it lets the nose float up above/beside me, instead of the scooter hanging down below me when I clip it off by the nose.

Back
Top Bottom