Blackthorn Dive, July 25--Rare Education Opportunity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scraps

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have chartered a boat to do a three-tank dive, at least one of which will be on Blackthorn, on Sunday, July 25.

The other dips will depend on what sites the recreational fisherman don't have covered when we arrive on scene, probably Sheridan, Seafood Barge, or Tabletop Ledge.

Diving with us that day will be the officer in charge of the Coast Guard dive team that worked with US Navy Salvage to raise the Blackthorn, recover the bodies, transport it to its current site, and prepare it to be sunk again in 1980. His knowledge of the event is encyclopedic.

The year after the sinking, I was assigned to the sister ship of Blackthorn that took over the Blackthorn's Operating Area. Later I served on another ship under the last successful CO of the Blackthorn, an officer who interviewed many of the survivors as part of the investigation. The Blackthorn accident investigation was a formative part of my initial training as a deck watch officer.

If you want to dive the Blackthorn and learn about the collision, the salvage, and how the tragedy changed the way the Coast Guard trains its officers, this is a dive you won't want to miss.

As of today I have two seats remaining. $200 per person.

Send me a message if you're interested.

That sounds like an amazing trip, I wish I could make it. Definitely tell us all about it when you're back.

Trip is fully subscribed. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom