Blackbeards June 3-9, 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bennedc

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello All!
I am fairly new to the boards and have done some looking about for the advice on Blackbeards. My husband and I are booking a week long trip for June next year and was wondering what to expect: like about water temp and weather and all of the tips and secrets. What would you have done differently? What advice do you have? Tips on what or what not to bring to make life easier, etc. I know about the clips and the mug..about the small berths...the showers. They now leave from Freeport, which (I hope) will reduce the sea sickness, but I will be prepared anyway. What other advice do you have? Any and all would be appreciated. Anyone else going on that week?

Thanks!

I was on the Pirate's Lady June 2005, and I LOVED IT, going back again this June.
As for what to expect, it is definitely not a luxury cruise, but is an experience that can't be compared. The berths are tiny, but you don't spend much time in them anyways. The food is great, the cook has like a 3x3 area to cook in, and turns out great food. Most everyone we cruised with gained like 5 pounds that week, no kidding.
The water temp is like bath water, unless you are cold blooded you could easily dive without a suit, but I would recommend at least a skin. I took my 3mm, mostly for protection from fire coral and such, but I dove bare a couple of times anyways (and got bit by the fire coral...which was an itchy experience for about 3 weeks...)
The showers are pretty much a no go once you are cruising. They have one, but the freshwater is really limited. They have a hose up on deck that feeds from the air conditioning condensation tank which we used to rinse off after every dive, and to "bathe" with. It's not treated water so you can't drink it but it's serves it's purpose as a makeshift shower. If you have long hair, I would definitely invest in some quality hair conditioner. I have really long curly hair, and I would put conditioner in my hair after every dive, and rinse with the hose. Since they do about 4 dives a day, trust me, you will have dread locks by the middle of the week if you don't do this. I took a razor that has the shaving cream and the razor all in one, and just sat on the ladder at the back of the boat and shaved my legs. Did I mention that modesty is not a quality needed on these boats?
I would bring at least one extra pair of sunglasses too, one guy had his break on the second day of the cruise....
Pack lightly, you pretty much have a shelf and the floor to store your stuff. You really live in your bathing suit the whole time, so a couple of pairs of dry shorts and tees and one cute outfit for port night is really all you need. They do have outlets and mirrors in the rooms for hairdryers and such, which you might want to use on port night. They do have bathrooms and showers at the docks in Bimini, which you are more than welcome to use for free, but there are only 2 in the womens and 2 in the mens, and there is probably going to be at least one other boat docking at the same time you do, so you do the math, the good thing is that there are not a lot of women on these boats, so it's usually the men waiting for a hot shower. I skipped the last dive on port night and took that time to use the boat's shower and to get all prettied up, so while everyone else was waiting in line for showers, I was buying souvenirs and making phone calls. Speaking of phone calls, if you will be calling home while in port, you should bring calling cards with you. There is like two pay phones on the whole island, and the little market area closes after dark.
You can also bring your own CDs, otherwise you are at the mercy of everyone else's musical taste....trust me on this one.
The only money you will need is for port night, tips at the end of the cruise for the crew, and souvenirs. At the end of the cruise, you can purchase a map that one of the crew has plotted out every where your boat traveled. It's pretty neat because it's all yellow looking like a treasure map.
I can't say enough good things about the crew, they were really great, down to earth guys. You will love it!!! Let me know if you have any questions, and good luck!
Oh, one more thing, you definitely need extra batteries for your camera and flashlight. I would invest in some rechargeables.

bennedc:
Hello All!
I am fairly new to the boards and have done some looking about for the advice on Blackbeards. My husband and I are booking a week long trip for June next year and was wondering what to expect: like about water temp and weather and all of the tips and secrets. What would you have done differently? What advice do you have? Tips on what or what not to bring to make life easier, etc. I know about the clips and the mug..about the small berths...the showers. They now leave from Freeport, which (I hope) will reduce the sea sickness, but I will be prepared anyway. What other advice do you have? Any and all would be appreciated. Anyone else going on that week?

Thanks!

Bring a seat cushion, use the head in the galley (much fresher), be sure to partake in the night dives!!!

The boat gets crowded sometimes and like previous posters said, the accomodations arent 5 star but if you put that aside and spend most the time in the water, you will have the time of your life. They also have all the booze you can drink onboard so make sure you take advantage of that :D .

Reel Crazy14:
The boat gets crowded sometimes and like previous posters said, the accomodations arent 5 star but if you put that aside and spend most the time in the water, you will have the time of your life. They also have all the booze you can drink onboard so make sure you take advantage of that :D .
Rum punch was good. Hubby liked the beer in the keg...Lucayan. Had a lot of fun. Fantastic trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom