Blackbeard Livaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gstroupe

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings all, I'm trying to plan a dive trip for this fall and I think I might get the best bang for the buck by going the Liveaboard route. I thought about Blackbeard's and wanted to solicit feedback from anyone that may have dove with them in the past.

Also, if anyone is interested in joining me drop me a line and we can talk about some options...could save some money :D !

Thanks!

I dove the Blackbeard (Pirate's Lady) in Sept 2001, yep right after Sept. 11th. From what I understood, and this was a couple of years later, a lot of people cancelled so instead of 3 boats going out only one went to the Bahamas.

Word of caution. If you don't like camping you probably won't like the Blackbeard cruises. You get a nice size berth and that's it. You may room with 3 others and a community head.

Personally, I liked it. The food was good, the diving was good and I slept like a log.

Have also dove on the Aqua Cat which is completely the opposite of the Blackbeard. Nice but small rooms, excellent food, great diving.

The staff on both boats were great. I now only have to try the Cat Pplau.

gstroupe:
Greetings all, I'm trying to plan a dive trip for this fall and I think I might get the best bang for the buck by going the Liveaboard route. I thought about Blackbeard's and wanted to solicit feedback from anyone that may have dove with them in the past.

Also, if anyone is interested in joining me drop me a line and we can talk about some options...could save some money :D !

Thanks!

I did Blackbeards last year in October and loved it. Good food, good booze, great diving and lots of it! I asked for and got a "double bunk" in the main salon which gave me a wider, roomier bunk. It was still small but worked fine. Slept great. I can't wait to go back again.

My first livaboard trip was a Blackbeards 9 day trip. I had a great time but have traded my camping hobby in for diving. You can have alot of fun if you go in knowing not to expect alot of creature comforts. A stadium seat cushin would be a big plus to have with you as all the seats are hard bench type with no places on board to lounge out. Also a wide bottom travelmug (coffee mug W/lid) will make it easy to keep assorted beverages under control. Also about 10 Plastic spring clips to fasten wet suits and clothes to the rail for drying, Home depot has them for about a buck, clothes pins aren't really good enough. Or even easier take the Nekton boats instead.

Just got back from a Blackbeard cruise 4 weeks ago. Actually I was aboard when you posted this message. Starpilottom told you correct. I was on the Morning Star. And as an added feature Ms. Jen Purdy daughter of the owners was aboard with us. She was very down to earth and most helpful to answer all questions. Food was good, I would recomend the main salon even though you have more room you will find that noise from people being in the area late at night can be a little bothersome but be patient and flexible and you will have a great time. It is better if you have several to go with you. We had 20 in our group and that made the trip much better. Also get in shape because you will dive 4 tanks per day and snorkle in between dives. Also note that Blackbeard is moving their operation into the Bahamas from Miami. This will be better because you will actually get to dive the day you arrive instead of a 6+ hour boat ride to the Bahamas. Good trip for the price.

I happened across this board while searching for information on Blackbeard's. I appreciate how thoughtful everyone is in their response's and have a question of my own. A group of 4 divers are going on a weekend Blackbeard trip the end of this month. I am used to diving in Northen Michigan with a 6-5-4 Full wetsuit. What type of suit should I bring? My 6-5-4 Full or my 2mm shorty? I'm fit, 6' 175lbs. Thanks for any help with this as I have not been struggling with this question for a while now.

This time of year the 2mil will be plenty and the 6/5/4 will be way too much. Water temps should be 79-82F. I dove last October with a 1.5mil on every dive and was not cold at all.

Blackbeards has a guide on their FAQs page with average water temps and recommended wetsuit thickness for each month.

I noticed that guide on their site but just wanted to check what others thought as well. Due to this site I have added and removed some items that I was planning on packing....Thanks everyone for their responses and advice.

Thanks for the help :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom