Blackbeard in late November/early December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onepointfivethumbs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Any tips?

I have an airline voucher burning a hole in my pocket and Nassau is easy to get to, shoulder season seems like the move with cheap flights and smaller crowds, post-Thanksgiving should be late enough for hurricanes not to be a major concern.

I'm an AOW (and aiming for Rescue by then), I grew up sailing and camping, went bareboating this past spring so living on a boat is nothing new for me.

Sea temps historically look like high 70's/low 80's, I'm a big boy and run fairly warm so I figure a 3mm fullsuit should be more than enough.

What gear do people typically bring vs rent? Worth it to bring your own BC/regs or is their stuff pretty good? Obviously airline baggage/weight is a consideration.

It looks like a riot, diving 3x a day with sharks in turquoise water with best friends you haven't met yet!

Blackbeard's is fun, but you have to manage your expectations a bit. Being on a sailboat for a week is awesome, the food is great, and the price is certainly cheap. Berths are small but comfortable. Pack light because you only have a small shelf at the foot of your bunk to store your stuff. All dive gear stays up top for the week. You unpack your luggage when you arrive and then they take the empty bags to be stored on shore for the week.

Definitely bring your own gear if you have it. I saw a few people who rented gear but I don't really recall the condition of the equipment, except for a regulator that had to be swapped out because it was giving someone an issue.

You should be comfortable navigating and planning your own dives with your buddy. They put a guide in the water on some of the dives but not all of them. And the reefs are coral heads, not fringing reefs or walls, so you can't just go in one direction to start and then turn around and come straight back. You'll be navigating flower patterns.

The coral isn't in the best shape, so the diving itself won't be outstanding. But the water is clear and warm, so there's that.

A 3mm fullsuit should be fine for most people. I run cold so I brought my 5mm. Bring an SMB and a reel, and a couple of dive lights and a tank strobe for any night dives.

Have fun!

I agree with everything from Outbound, especially about bringing your own gear. BB provides tanks and (hard) weights, but you're better off bringing everything else of your own so you know what to expect of it. I'm going to guess you will be comfortable with your 3 mm if you are normally warm diving it, but remember, with all that water time daily, you may "accumulate" heat loss. you might want to add a shorty if you have one.
I haven't dived with them for years, but was hoping to go with them this Summer (plans that fell through, alas!). I went so far as to do an online chat and even went so far as a little telephone time, and their folks are most helpful giving me personal help with what I'd need and what to expect.
I can only say I kinda envy you!
Green 🐸 Frog

I did Feb/March of '22. Temps were mostly 78-79 even at depth. I was fine in my Waterproof 3.5mm (a good suit with seals) and I sometimes added a Lavacore hood. Having a vest or shorty to layer would be a good idea if you end up accruing some thermal debt.

@Outbound and @Green Frog pretty much nailed it. But just to emphasize. Blackbeard's is about as libertarian a dive operation as I've heard of. You are responsible for buddying-up. Your team is responsible for getting yourselves back on the boat, safely. You should bring appropriate NAV tools - i.e. a compass and your wits, with the requisite ability to use them. Nobody wants to do the swim-of-shame, or worse, need to be "fetched" by the zodiak. We felt bad enough spy-hopping once for a bearing during a long, distant, shallow dive on rather contorted reef system. Occasionally there is an end time for the dive because they need to get underway.

However, especially, because you are out there "alone" (yes you should have your buddy, but ... and there is frequently no other marine traffic in sight) I would strongly suggest carrying
  • a PLB in an appropriate container. Also, an AIS beacon like a Nautilus would be good for a first step SOS to get your boat's attention before calling in the satellite cavalry - I am sure your crew would prefer an AIS call, much less paperwork, I'm sure.
  • an SMB
  • a strobe
If you are competent with a pony - consider bringing it. I brought a slung AL27. They filled it and admonished me - "for emergency only" - but there was no hesitation to top me up toward the end due to test-breaths. If you have read about the Woody-DCS event, the last thing you want to do don there is an accelerated ascent due to a gas-supply issue. It could be crippling - at least to your wallet.

Note you may not be able to get a DIN tank. Or an AL100. Or an AL100 DIN. They had a bunch with convertable-valves, but not all of them. My crew was certainly adept at sorting out the compatibility challenges but there is a first-come first-served reality, so be prepared to possibly not get an AL100 even if you put in an advanced request and bring a DIN-Yoke converter if that is how you roll.

My recommendation would be to bring your own equipment if you can. This is a week of diving. Having stuff that you are comfortable with goes a long way to a good experience.

I can't be remote for the foreseeable future, so I'm jealous too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom